Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had installed the the 28T HD Moco belt about two weeks ago. As I didnt torque the axle the first time, today I had gone ahead and loosened the axle, readjusted the belt tension to 10mm deflection, torqued the axle nut.

Now I have loud belt noise. While on a floorstand, when I rotate the rear wheel you can hear the belt as it meshes into the front pulley about every 1/3rd rev of the pulley. And while riding it is only noticable when slowing down and throttle off. Ideas???

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Mine does it too. Try a little silicone or graphite lubricant on the belt. Either the pulley or the belt is a little off and there's friction until the belt wears a little.

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mjw930 said:
Mine does it too. Try a little silicone or graphite lubricant on the belt. Either the pulley or the belt is a little off and there's friction until the belt wears a little.

I didn't notice it the first ~100mi or so, but man is it loud. At first I thought it was bearing noise. Maybe I'll retorque the flangebolts and get some lube on the belt.

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reichard said:
I didn't notice it the first ~100mi or so, but man is it loud. At first I thought it was bearing noise. Maybe I'll retorque the flangebolts and get some lube on the belt.
DOH! two of my flange bolts are GONE. I torqued those three bolts down in two stages. There was some kind of yellow "Locktite" on there too. Holy smokes. Well, I have three bolts from the old flange. Man this has me scared.

So much for belt noise. It was "bolt rattling around the pulley cover" noise.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
reichard >..I installed the stock bolts with red locite then torque per spec, then took a short ride and torque again.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
reichard said:
DOH! two of my flange bolts are GONE. I torqued those three bolts down in two stages. There was some kind of yellow "Locktite" on there too. Holy smokes. Well, I have three bolts from the old flange. Man this has me scared.

So much for belt noise. It was "bolt rattling around the pulley cover" noise.
That's what happened to mine too. The HD tech did something wrong cause the pulley was almost completey off and the belt was being shredded to bits because of it. Dealer replaced it all for me.

Only been about 100 miles with the new belt and I agree it's loud!

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motown_VROD said:
That's what happened to mine too. The HD tech did something wrong cause the pulley was almost completey off and the belt was being shredded to bits because of it. Dealer replaced it all for me.

Only been about 100 miles with the new belt and I agree it's loud!
I didn't have much time to look at the damage. I have bolts from the old 30T pulley and I tried to thread one it but it wouldn't go. the belt looks OK, no shreading or cotton candy coming out. Hope I dont need a whole new kit.

I ordered some Loctite 277 from Grainger ($27.50 for 50mL) and Loctite primer/cleaner ($20.92) as well. Maybe it's time for a new torque wrench too.

This really disturbs me. For the first few rides the belt was absolutely silent--no noise at all. Dunno what gives here.

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I removed the 28T pulley and noticed the lack of *any* threadlocker compound on the pulley. The sole 16mm bolt remaining had just a dusting on some of the threads. The 30T original pulley has a good amount left on the threads. Maybe just some old threadlocker was used or it is totally cheapo stuff.

Looks like I need a new belt as well. this sucks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the same noise..NOT loose bolts though...MJW930.. HD tells me NOT to put anything on the belt as it will wear in and that the 28 tooth pulley askes the belts to bend "tighter" causing the noise....Hmmmm I just added the 28toother last week I hope this goes away!!

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I reinstalled the pulley on Wednesday but haven't ridden yet--weather has not been cooperating at all. Rain and cold today, chance of snow (!) tomorrow.

I didnt trust my torquw wrench so I bought the new digi-torque Craftsman. If these bolts loosen up now, I'll have to buy yet another 28T kit.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I have changed my pulley several times but since the engine is so tough to hold properly to torque those bolts I did what your not supposed to do each time. The proper torque with my Ingersoll Rand impact is:tattatatatatatat. Make sure you get them at least that tight. :)

On those bolts I use the red loctite.

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Max said:
I have changed my pulley several times but since the engine is so tough to hold properly to torque those bolts I did what your not supposed to do each time. The proper torque with my Ingersoll Rand impact is:tattatatatatatat. Make sure you get them at least that tight. :)

Hey Max, that's funny--When I was grunting with my wrench, my impact wrench was just eyeballing me up in the corner.

The design of the pulley has a "hip" that the round head of the bolt lands on os it kind of limits how much torque you can get on it. IF they loosen on me again I'll whip out my impact wrench as well. The dealer will certainly wonder why I bought three 28T kits at that time...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Max said:

I simply put it in first gear and was able to get 65 ft/lbs on the bolts w/o the pulley spinning. Is my torque wrench off??

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
V-Man said:
I simply put it in first gear and was able to get 65 ft/lbs on the bolts w/o the pulley spinning. Is my torque wrench off??
65ft-lbs isn't really that much but the induced torque on the output shaft is clockwise, opposite of normal operation. Guess it doesnt matter. I just popped the ol' lady on the vrod and had her step on the rear brake.

next time i'll use the impact like Max does ;)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Make sure not to turn your engine backwards if you use a torque wrench. The chain tensioner uses oil pressure for tension and if the engine is off and you turn it backwards you could get the cams out of time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
belt noise

Have you guys experienced a cracking type noise??.. HD claims the 28toooth is smaller and the belt has to make a tighter radius and the noise should go away... comments anyone??

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Mine has been whistling for awhile, I have tried Silicone Lube spray but no change, I will be taking it to my Dealer this week and insist they fix it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Max said:
Make sure not to turn your engine backwards if you use a torque wrench. The chain tensioner uses oil pressure for tension and if the engine is off and you turn it backwards you could get the cams out of time.
Holly $hit! It did turn backwards half a turn or so... How do I tell if it did something to the cams?? :confused:

Does this also mean if you roll backwards in gear you can damage the engine? Say you stall it on an uphill. Surely you'd catch it with breaks but still it's very possible to roll backwards a little bit. Never imagined something like that can be a problem :confused:

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
V-Man said:
Holly $hit! It did turn backwards half a turn or so... How do I tell if it did something to the cams?? :confused:

Does this also mean if you roll backwards in gear you can damage the engine? Say you stall it on an uphill. Surely you'd catch it with breaks but still it's very possible to roll backwards a little bit. Never imagined something like that can be a problem :confused:
You'll have to ask the guru (Max). I doubt a 1/2 turn would bother, however, a full fast rev backwards from gravity--just thinking about it makes me cringe and reflect back to all the rods i've popped thru dirtbikes thru the years.

"Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!" (Charlie Papazian).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts