Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the Harley chrome slotted belt guards, now the time has come to replace the rear tire, can I do a 200 without grinding some clearance in the
chrome? Anyone do this. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,090 Posts
Safest bet is to notch the chrome. If you do, get some fingernail clearcoat from your wife/girlfriend and seal it so it doesn't rust.

·
FireBum
485 Posts
I just put a 200 Avon Venom on the rear. When I removed the 180 I noticed that it had been slightly rubbing on the black plastic portion. This told me where to work. I took my Makita grinder and made an elongated recess about 3/8 deep and 2 in long into the chrome making sure that the grinding was downward so that it would not lift the chrome. I then coated the edge with silver paint. All is well. The ground area doesn't show.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
belt guard

Thanks, so I guess not notching is not an option, if I go with the 200 it is
going to interfere?

·
FireBum
485 Posts
Some say they have no problem. It may depend on the type of guard. For me there was no way around it but it is a painless issue to remedy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guards

Thanks for the input guys, with about $200 invested in the belt guards I will
have to think about taking a grinder to them. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Just grind them. Tape them off with painters tape, grind carefully and take your time. Throw some fingernail polish on afterwards.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i have the same sey up. with the metzler 200. just had to do a little grind. will not know thye difference. but the look is awesome

·
MWT III/IV/V alumni
859 Posts
Is there a huge difference in the stock 180 compared to the 200. Looks wise I mean. I was thinking of going 240, but not really sure I am ready for that.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I have a 240 now, but when I had my 200 the chrome belt guards fit fine without any modification. I tink it depends on your bike. All I had to do was remove the inner fender supports to prevent from rubbing on them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
belt guard

OK, next question, removed rear dog a** brackets on the rear, have to admit it looks kinda naked now, need to get the rear tire tucked more into the fender, running Harley 12.5" lowering shocks, anyone know how low you can go. I do not ride 2-up, so that is not an issue. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
on my chrome belt guard i just elongated the hole that attaches the guard to the swing arm so that the entire piece could be shifted out a little bit. worked good :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts