Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Rick's tank and while reinstalling my lower belt guard, I noticed that it's been rubbing up against the upper lower-portion of the tank. Looks like when the lower belt guard was attached that as the bike was in motion and the entire rear end (tire, swingarm, belt guards) moved up and down through normal operation, the lower belt guard was just rubbing away at the tank.

Know there are several other people out there with Ricks tank and lower belt guards attached. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how'd you overcome or circumvent it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I remember somebody elses post about the belt actually wore a hole in the tank and I think it was caused because of some bolt loose, I know that's not a lot of help to ya with out being more descriptive but what do I know, I'm just a dj :D

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
lakedrunk said:
I remember somebody elses post about the belt actually wore a hole in the tank and I think it was caused because of some bolt loose, I know that's not a lot of help to ya with out being more descriptive but what do I know, I'm just a dj :D
I don't think a Rick's tank has been rubbed through from this. At least I haven't seen it reported.

If you have the stock plastic guards, just trim them, or remove the bottom one. If you have the chrome guards I believe there is a way to reposition it so that it isn't a problem.

There is another thread going on this topic somewhere.

·
1,738 Posts
I have installed 2 Ricks tanks (mine and AJL's) and we have plenty of clearance, but today I looked at xl-rods tank and he had this problem. It might be that it is where the guide for the lower belt guard is installed on some swingarms, but he says his tank seemed to be bowed out at the bottom on both sides, so it could be a manufacturing defect or variance. I believe he bent the rear attachment bracket back pulling it away from the tank. He has millimeters of clearance where I have a quarter inch or more.

Fred

·
Member #415
1,712 Posts
Hey Ed, I cut mine down. I checked the clearance before taking the Bike out, and I could see where it was going to rub. I marked it with a magic marker and chopped it off. Hope this helps.
Hey if you want, I can send you over a photo of mine--->Let me know.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
FYI, I have chrome uppers and lowers. I'll probably just remove both.

·
Registered
155 Posts
V-Fred said:
I have installed 2 Ricks tanks (mine and AJL's) and we have plenty of clearance, but today I looked at xl-rods tank and he had this problem. It might be that it is where the guide for the lower belt guard is installed on some swingarms, but he says his tank seemed to be bowed out at the bottom on both sides, so it could be a manufacturing defect or variance. I believe he bent the rear attachment bracket back pulling it away from the tank. He has millimeters of clearance where I have a quarter inch or more.

Fred
Fred,
I have contacted Rick's, we are looking into my situation at this time.

synseer,
In your picture of the belt guard itself, the rub mark is more than likely from your tire. I have that mark on my belt guard, long before installing Rick's tank. Although, I do feel the belt guard is close to the Rick's tank as well. After looking a V-Fred's install and other pics on this forum, it is close quarters for the belt guard. And I believe the forward rivet, on the belt guard, is causing your rub mark on the tank.

My issue is different, as V-Fred described, my Rick's Tank flairs out on the back left side leaving virtually no room for the belt itself vs. the belt guard. I had to mod the belt guard just to get the belt guard on the bike. As stated above, have been forwarding info and pics to Rick's Motorcycle for further review reguarding my situation.

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xl-rod said:
synseer,
In your picture of the belt guard itself, the rub mark is more than likely from your tire. I have that mark on my belt guard, long before installing Rick's tank. Although, I do feel the belt guard is close to the Rick's tank as well. After looking a V-Fred's install and other pics on this forum, it is close quarters for the belt guard. And I believe the forward rivet, on the belt guard, is causing your rub mark on the tank.
Thought of that already and checked it out. It is not the tire. Tire has plenty of room and does not come in contact with the belt guard at all.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Seems the easiest thing to do is put a 280 on her... That should bring the belt out a bit!

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
V Ride said:
Seems the easiest thing to do is put a 280 on her... That should bring the belt out a bit!
Not sure about that. I know the 260 is very close at the lower rear of the tank. Mine has no problems with the belt gaurds.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
xl-rod said:
Fred,
I have contacted Rick's, we are looking into my situation at this time.

synseer,

My issue is different, as V-Fred described, my Rick's Tank flairs out on the back left side leaving virtually no room for the belt itself vs. the belt guard. I had to mod the belt guard just to get the belt guard on the bike. As stated above, have been forwarding info and pics to Rick's Motorcycle for further review reguarding my situation.
Did the tank flair out (expand) after installation or was this a problem encountered during the install?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
sammy said:
Did the tank flair out (expand) after installation or was this a problem encountered during the install?

My tank is one of the first ones and the tank has not changed at all since install. The chrome lower belt guard is a problem because I did an install on a bike today with one. The guard must be trimmed, of course I will take pictures of this guard that show it was rubbed and had grooves cut in it before the tank was installed similar to the pictures I have seen posted of them.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Here is a picture of a lower guard with the same marks and cuts but never mounted with a Ricks tank, this was off an all stock bike.

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
I'll be installing my Ricks tanks one of these days. Will this be a problem for me since I have a 240?
No the tank guard is only an issue with a stock tank and then you can cut the front lip of and I'm sure it will work or thats how were going to test this one.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Max said:
Here is a picture of a lower guard with the same marks and cuts but never mounted with a Ricks tank, this was off an all stock bike.
Let me see what my chrome lower guard looks like. I haven't put it back pn after the tank swap since it won't fit with my new 280 swingarm.

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sammy said:
Unsure at this point but through logical deduction, it is conceivable that this problem occured shortly after install but I only noticed it recently when I was relocating my DoD decals on the swingarm (http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=952304&postcount=32) where the lower guard bolts up to the swingarm.

Tank has not flaired up at all...stayed in it's original shape through and through. Some of the outer plastic has been scraped off, you can see that in the pics in the first post of this thread, but the tank still has it's structural integrity and works just fine.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
I'll be installing my Ricks tanks one of these days. Will this be a problem for me since I have a 240?
Mike if you run a stock (not widened) swingarm you will have to trim the inside edge on the guard imho for it to be right.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Max said:
Mike if you run a stock (not widened) swingarm you will have to trim the inside edge on the guard imho for it to be right.

I have a Hogpro widened swingarm and I'm also using the Hogpro modified belt guards.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts