Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping one of you experienced V-Rod'ers can help me with a small technical question.

We got an unusually warm day here today and I got a chance to ride my new Rod for about 25 miles. This bike is a sweet ride. Very smooth and tight.

Well, I got excited and decided to put on a set of chrome rear foot peg mounting brackets. I got the rear right side on with no problem. Very easy.

Since I have to remove the belt guard on the left, I have to back out the rear shock bolt just far enought to remove the belt guard. Now I am just a fair mechanic but I can usually at least figure out what wrench to use....but for the life of me I can't figure out just what size open end wrench fits the rear lock bolt (the service manual calles it a (thin height nut) that needs to be loosened in order to back out the hex bolt that holds in the shock. I thought I heard this bike was mostly Metric? Is it?

Can anyone please help a rookie Rod'er? Any advise?

Thanks

2003 V-Rod
2004 1200C Sportster
2003 Sizuki Intruder
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra (445 RWHP)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
A 19mm open end wrench will fit or you can use a 3/4 since they are almost the exact same size. The bolt head should be an 8mm allen or is on most.

Welcome to the forum.

Max

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Mine were allen head bolts.I have a set of Bonduss allen wrenches with a ball at the end of each.I was able to get them loose enough that I could use my fingers to loosen them.I haven't attempted to put them back on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried a 19mm from the start and it is very sloopy on there. I thought I had heard this bike is Metric but I may try the 3/4 suggestion and see if that works better. I have just about every size except guess? 3/4. Kids must have got it.

I do have to back off that thin heioght nut first before I back out the 8mm allen right?

Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
If its a sloppy fit, take a piece of ziplock sandwich bag and put over the bolt. It will tighten the fit and keep you from stripping it(and prevent rust). Works with allen heads too...

Leon

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
need part number

....I'm looking for the part number to that "Thin Height Nut" that holds the right side lower shock bolt....

anyone know the part number??? or exact size of threads

Thanks!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Jonny.....I believe the nut is M10 Coarse thread. You can get one at Autozone.

You could always just pull off the one on the left and bring it to the hardware store to compare it.

Edit....I'm wrong. The correct size is 12mm.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
rjrivero said:
Jonny.....I believe the nut is M10 Coarse thread. You can get one at Autozone.

You could always just pull off the one on the left and bring it to the hardware store to compare it.

Tjhanks RJ...

the one on the left is a rounded bung, welded to the upper belt guard

I just wanted to be able to walk into the stealership and hand them the part number, rather than have them hem and haw over where to look for it.... I could just take the right side in to Autozone, I have it, I just want another one for the left side for when I remove the belt guard...

So if anyone knows the part number, see part 5 in pic... I'll spend the $ at HD for the surely OVERPRICED nut, just so it will match!

Thanks

Attachments

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
7433M Nut, Hex jam. Thats the part at the stealer, I had the receipt handy! $6.80!!!! It is the right one though, much more low profile with a lock on it so I feel safer with it than just a nut. Plus with just a nut you cant really fit a lock washer in there its so tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts