Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While installing the 28 tooth, I removed the belt guards. I thought the bike looked cool without any guard. Kinda like the way Max has it going on. Since the wife rides with me, I had to have a guard so she would not get her boot on the belt. So.. I cut the back off to expose more of the rear pulley and sand blasted (glass beaded) the guard. The finish looks just like the rear pulley and the brake calipers. It was easy! :ride:

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my first post with a pic....sorry for the poor quality....still learning

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Looks good :slap: :slap:

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Terrific look, especially if you're keeping the anodized skins and aren't a chromaholic.

I like.

Heck. I'm surprised that the MoCo doesn't sell upper and lower guards in brush aluminum or anodize.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Looks very good --- and .... you can't beat the price!

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
You might want to think about clearcoating that belt guard. lass beaded aluminum stains and discolors pretty easily. Does look sharp though

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
Consider ANODIZING it. There should be at least 10 Plating and metal finishing shops in your suburban Chicago area (just a guess) that specialize in anodizing. A lot price is in the $50 range, but your one piece would be way under a lot size, perhaps you could talk the shop into just doing it for a fraction of the lot fee.

If you anodize, be aware that the bead blast finish will have a different sheen to the surface after anodizing; from the existing panels, because the HD panels are finished in a more random manner. I typically recommend Dual Action (orbital) WET sanding. To get it closer to the look of the HD skins, you may need to sand incrementally from coarse to extra fine grit sizes... The nooks and crannies can be done by hand as long as you stroke with a figure-8 pattern.

I suggest this only because I hope to de-mystify clear anodizing of aluminum parts. Have fun, and please post more pictures, this is the kind of mod that I would be interested in doing too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I am closer to the Gulf of Mexico than Chicago and I would rather go there. Chicago is way up north to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts