Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, call me weird, but one of the many reasons I got the 'Rod was 'cause I liked the silver on aluminum color scheme and not a lot of chrome. I know, this is actually a felony offense in Milwaukee to not want too much chrome, but then if you own a VRod, you're probably eccentric anyway-- although I prefer the term 'gifted'.
Yep, the MoCo painted that belt guard straight black to once again cause violent stomach contractions and make us do something- ANYTHING- with it, take it off, replace it with CHROME or put our eyes out.
Well here's an alternative- take it off and PAINT it. Silver. Like the frame. I have yet to have a dealer confess he stocks the original paint from Harley, so I got a somewhat close match at an auto parts store, sprayed 4 coats to the top and bottom halves inside and out, rubbed it down, shot it with a can of clearcoat and there you have it. Took 2 days (over a weekend) to do it, start to finish, most of it was paint drying time to include an entire night and following day for drying before rubbing and clearcoating it, which means you can do something else while it's drying. I was servicing my 'Rod at the time so it was on a stand anyway, otherwise it is unlikely I would have sacrificed some primo Texas ride time over a weekend. I did this last March and there is no problem with paint flaking off the flexible bottom half. Under normal lighting, it looks like it came that way from the factory. Under a 500w flood light in my garage, it looks like I painted it myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
mustangcav said:
OK, call me weird ...
Ok you are weird.

I like what you did with the stock belt guards! I agree the stock guards need to be replaced (or our eyes poked out). I already got the chrome guards as a gift for Christmas, otherwise I would take time off of work and spray my stock ones right now.

mustangcav said:
...(I used one of those cheesy disposable spray guns, but it worked fine for this purpose) rubbed it down, shot it with a can of clearcoat and there you have it...
What did you use to paint the belt guards with? Could you enlighten me?

Thanks,

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
nice idea, again mustang. I have been giving thought to polishing that upper guard, but that still leaves the lower, and I am like you in that I am not too crazy about too much chrome. Another weekend project.....

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I Scrapped the lower. Might just have to paint the upper. If I don't buy the Rizoma....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paint for the Belt Guards

I had originally started off with a paint mix I got at an auto paint store (you know the kind they mix up for $10-15 a pint) and shot a test on the backside of the upper guard, but didn't like the color and didn't want to go down that road again for a somewhat small paint job, so I ended up just getting a can of silver and clearcoat and doing the rest like that. One of these days, when the original color is available from Harley or they share the color formula with paint stores, I'll try the spray gun route again. Sorry for not clarifying that, but that's why I edited it out cause the message was long enough as it was.

Bruzer said:
Ok you are weird.

I like what you did with the stock belt guards! I agree the stock guards need to be replaced (or our eyes poked out). I already got the chrome guards as a gift for Christmas, otherwise I would take time off of work and spray my stock ones right now.

What did you use to paint the belt guards with? Could you enlighten me?

Thanks,

·
Registered
696 Posts
Can you post the Brand and Exact Color or Color Number of the paint you found that you used since you seem to have found a very close match.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paint Color

2ToneAnniversary said:
Can you post the Brand and Exact Color or Color Number of the paint you found that you used since you seem to have found a very close match.
2Tone- I'm sorry, but I don't remember the brand or exact color/shade of silver. I got it at an AutoZone and as I recall there were only a few shades of silver available. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Those paint cans are the only thing I have experience with so I am glad you used a can paint (because it looks good and I want to try it).

I have some grey primer that should work well as an undercoat. How else would people suggest to prepare the surface of the stock guards (plastic and metal)?

I was just reading all the posts about the 200 rear tire. I might modify my belt guards to accomidate the 200 and then do this paint trick so I can switch back to an unmodified chrome one if I needed.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tremclad aluminum rust paint is a near exact perfect match. I sprayed it into the cap and filled the cracks where the sloppy frame welds are and looks perfect.

fwiw,

w,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts