Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rollin' Hills
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have installed RICKS tank----What kind of clearance do you have from the drive belt? Just wondering if I'am off a bit or what. Thanks -Bob

·
Registered
155 Posts
How much is your clearance? Are you referring to the lower belt clearance? On my 04 VRSCA, I have very minimal clearance with the lower belt clearence...in fact I had to trim the belt guard to get the lower belt guard installed. Would say my install as only few mm's between the belt and tank (lower belt clearance) only at one point. Upper belt clearance is much more. I noticed on my Rick's tank, on the lower left front half, it is flat then flairs out toward the belt on the lower left rear portion of the tank. This is where I see minimal clearance. Contacted Rick's, describing this scenario (with pics as well) and they stated they know clearence is close but should be fine. However I still disagree. I have seen a couple of other installs where there seems to be more room. Rick's also made a comment about the tank, during our dicsussions, on which tank I have. It sounded like there may be couple versions but when I questioned them about that aspect they simply stated my install is fine. Still curious about that aspect. My 04 has the HD Swingarm, rear pulley and wheel spacing (point here is no after market parts except for the tank). My stock drive belt is wide, I believe it is an inch and a half.

I have a few hundred miles on the bike since installing Rick's tank and there has been no rubbing at all. But still feel a bit paranoid about it and still doing some research on it. Which is how I came across this thread. Its seems there are some sparatic posts about this condition in different parts of this forum.

·
Rollin' Hills
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xl-rod said:
How much is your clearance? Are you referring to the lower belt clearance? On my 04 VRSCA, I have very minimal clearance with the lower belt clearence...in fact I had to trim the belt guard to get the lower belt guard installed. Would say my install as only few mm's between the belt and tank (lower belt clearance) only at one point. Upper belt clearance is much more. I noticed on my Rick's tank, on the lower left front half, it is flat then flairs out toward the belt on the lower left rear portion of the tank. This is where I see minimal clearance. Contacted Rick's, describing this scenario (with pics as well) and they stated they know clearence is close but should be fine. However I still disagree. I have seen a couple of other installs where there seems to be more room. Rick's also made a comment about the tank, during our dicsussions, on which tank I have. It sounded like there may be couple versions but when I questioned them about that aspect they simply stated my install is fine. Still curious about that aspect. My 04 has the HD Swingarm, rear pulley and wheel spacing (point here is no after market parts except for the tank). My stock drive belt is wide, I believe it is an inch and a half.

I have a few hundred miles on the bike since installing Rick's tank and there has been no rubbing at all. But still feel a bit paranoid about it and still doing some research on it. Which is how I came across this thread. Its seems there are some sparatic posts about this condition in different parts of this forum.
Thanks for the return mail. Yeah, I'am a bit concerned about the clearance, top and bottom. Top is about 1/8"----bottom is about 3/32', as you said---flaring front to back. I really don't want to reassemble all this stuff, (shifting the tank to the side) however I think the're is reasonable doubt with the belt clearance..The idea of my belt sliceing into the tank, for whtever reason, sort of bothers me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi
I now have about 3/8", I found that the tank can move in its mounting even when the bracket is pushed firmly in place and tightened. I actually pushed the tank to the right and put in a wooden wedge on the lower left. I painted the wedge flat black and put a little black GE silicone on the tank side of the wedge just to hold it in place. Also I have the orignal ('03) chrome upper and lower belt guards which did scrape the tank. I had to trim off quite a bit of the lower to get a comfortable clearance. The top was ok, not sure but it seems like the key lock is touching the tank. Will be looking into that possible situation, I noticed a hollow sound when I put the key into the key lock when the tank was empty. The lower chrome belt guard gave me some problems when I went to a 200 tire. At that time I had to remove all of the black plastic on the belt guard and some of the metal to get clearance for the new tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts