Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I or somebody be sitting on the bike when I check the tension? I had the dealer check the belt the other day and it’s close to the top end of the tension specs. I’m thinking, if that’s the case with nobody on the bike, once I and my wife get in the bike, won’t that put the belt at a tension level OVER specs?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Should I or somebody be sitting on the bike when I check the tension? I had the dealer check the belt the other day and it’s close to the top end of the tension specs. I’m thinking, if that’s the case with nobody on the bike, once I and my wife get in the bike, won’t that put the belt at a tension level OVER specs?
It depends on the shock setting. The belt is at maximum tension when the swingarm is aligned parallel with the output shaft sprocket as shown in this picture:

For most bikes when maximum load is present the swingarm will pivot up and belt tension will be reduced.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Steve is correct on the swing arm angles. Any changes in shock lengths or if adjustable preload and sag dimension, the stock means of measuring belt tension goes out the window most times. If I recall when I put my 444 shocks on last fall and set them to 1" sag the tight spot was in the 1.5-2" area. If I set the tension per book on the stand at 10-12mm the operational zone was in the 6-8mm area for tension. Imagine how tight that bitch would be if I set it at 6mm on the stand?
No exactness to it, as things change with heat as well(gets tighter) you need to determine where the tightest spot is regarding the swing arm arc in relation to your normal loading on the shocks. Let's face it, nobody rides the bike on the kickstand.
Ron

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,957 Posts
youtube

rscrod

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
youtube

rscrod
Good vid and on a stock setup it likely works that way. Go with 1" shorter shocks different sag numbers and spring rates, these figures will shift around and might not work out that way. Truth is, once you branch away from stock, measuring the belt with rider is a more accurate method.
My 13 owners manual also states bike upright, no rider. I figure unless he's a real fat bastard, instead of just standing there holding the bike up, he might as well sit on it while I measure.
Ron

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,957 Posts
I never check with rider on bike.
belt gets tighter.

Progres... has a shock that will lower it 1 inch and maintain travel. I have them on my Ultra

1 - 7 of 7 Posts