Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
RTFM
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i needed some insight into how stupid this trip would be. Initially i wanted to simply buy my BMW for this which would have worked out fine, but the cost overall is coming up in that department.

Here is the map of the route.
http://tinyurl.com/2ccakx9

For the most part 90% of this trip 'should' be no issue, the distances don't matter to me as this year i did a nice 8000km three flags ride so 10 hr days are fine. Couple longer routes to see friends and family, but mostly to hit highways that i have not been on, try not to re-ride crap.

My issue is gas and road conditions.

Has anyone done the Cassiar highway or the Top of the world highway?

Suggestions?

·
Registered
78 Posts
LOL! I did a trip from Pennsylvania to Alaska and took the Stewart-Cassiar on the way home. It was by far THE worst part of the trip...but also the most fun! It rained the whole time we were on the highway which only added to the fun AND I was on an FXDX that I converted into a LowRider...probably not the best choice for that road. Our total mileage was 9626. I'll try to post a picture of the bike at the halfway mark on that road.

My suggestion?...off the top of my head...2 or 3 sets of goggles/glasses...and maybe Windex and paper towels.

By the way...the motor you see in the picture is a black motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just had the bike repainted when I got home. Cars/trucks passing us in the other direction really did a number on the paint.

Don't think I'll be taking the Road Rod on a trip like that once it's finished!

Attachments

·
RTFM
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya i figured that i would be repainting my little girl when i got back so thats already figured into the 'cost' of the trip.

Tire wear and gas consumption?

I noticed on my three flags ride i was getting piss pour gas mileage, however speeds upwards of 75mph were probably to blame.

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
I drove most of those roads this summer.
The roads from Destruction Bay, Yukon to Tok, Alaska were the roughest. Very sneaky, snake-like dips in the road. But, the scenery was beautiful.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well we didn't do the Prudhoe Bay thing...while we were in Fairbanks, we met a guy who was waiting on a wheel to be shipped for his R1200GS. He broke it on Dalton. We instead decided to do Fairbanks, Anchorage, Skagway, and Valdez. It's great being in Skagway on June 21st...the whole town parties and of course, it never gets dark.

I see you're going through Jasper. We came down 93 and it snowed pretty hard on the 4th of July. Not a common thing in Pennsylvania.

Anyway...gas...if you're worried about fuel, a guy with us was riding a 1200 sportster with the old style peanut tank...just over 3 gallons...and he never ran out between stations.

I left with new rubber and my rear tire was shot when I got home. Trips are easy on tires, but, I have NO clue about tire wear on a Vrod...since I've only owned mine for 5 days...LOL. Sorry.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
If you get 6K miles out of the rear, you are doing it wrong.

·
RTFM
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drove most of those roads this summer.
The roads from Destruction Bay, Yukon to Tok, Alaska were the roughest. Very sneaky, snake-like dips in the road. But, the scenery was beautiful.
Hummmm ok, that was part of it was worried about, now to see who has done the Stewart-Cassiar Highway 37. I would hate to run out of gas there, hehe.

Daniii, i'm not worried about tire wear, just traction. I have some nice Cobras on my bight right now, so i may look at a possibly swap to a tire that will welcome a lot more gravel and crappy roads.

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
Hello Mr. Pissant,
I did all the roads except the Top of the World Highway. It had major washouts & was closed. All 16000+- miles on a V-Rod with Avon Cobra tires. I carried a gas can with me, just in case.

·
RTFM
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How the HELL did you get to the arctic circle?
700+ KM ride.

EDIT:
You went up the Dalton Highway, i really should have paid attention to the sign, hehe. I was considering going up through the Yukon not Alaska.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
nice pictures

·
Registered
78 Posts
Funny thing...before we left, a bunch of guys were trying to tell us that it's no big deal...all the road are paved now...LOL!

Hey, if you're interested, there's a nice motorcycle campground with teepees in TOK...95 miles from the Yukon boarder. Kind of cool.

Attachments

·
RTFM
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be camping 95% of the trip, as this is somewhat a recreation of a trip i took as a child, though then we were in a car. So any campgrounds that you know of on the route that are good to hit up or stay away from please let me know, about 8 months from launch date as of now.

Also looking for secondary fuel cannisters, tanks or bottles.

·
RTFM
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Mr. Pissant,
I did all the roads except the Top of the World Highway. It had major washouts & was closed. All 16000+- miles on a V-Rod with Avon Cobra tires. I carried a gas can with me, just in case.
Found your thread on the ADV forums today by chance, hehe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts