Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I love my bike, but I love my wife more and she wants us to ride together but the stock passenger pillion is killing her. I have seen only seen 1 post so far on how to modify a 58120 base plate by a guy who only posted 1 time, so my question is has anyone had any success modifying this base plate or are there any touring seats made for this bike that you dont have to have a base plate ? Please help!:banghead:

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya know grodder Im not far off from giving that serious consideration, and I just bought this bike 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Damn, 2 weeks? I honestly think you bought the wrong bike if you want to cruise with your wife. I love my vrod, but I know people who tried everything to turn it into something its not. Theres nothing wrong with a heritage classic, in fact its gorgeous.. Might want to keep the vrod just for yourself.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Simple. Find the base plate, buy the Sundowner with Passenger pillion, buy a butt pad, buy the Kuryakyn backrest and she'll love you. Unfortunately the Base Palte and Kuryakyn back rest are no longer available...anywhere!

Do a search; there was a guy fabbing a backrest based off the Kuryakyn I sent him as the test model to fab from. Big Pappa started this fabrication project but I don't know what the final outcome was. See this thread:http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119853

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks tray, im trying to contact big papa on that back rest but without the base plate im still in bad shape

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
The Sundowner seat with passenger pillion may be a good fit, as this is what i have on the 03. Granted I only have a rider for a couple of hours at a time and it may not be long enough for a sore butt. I also use a mini back rest with base plate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, thanks to everyone that posted , I went to the harley shop today and bought the sundowner , the low sissybar and touring backrest ordered the 51120-01a base plate that a guy on here said i could modify to make work and hardware to put together 577.77 ouch! for another 100.00 I could have bought the corbin and not had to modify but the pillion on the corbin is only 10'' wide and the sundowner pillion is 12.5'' so the wife wanted the wider one, hope this dosent mean she is planning for a wider butt in the near future :0.so once the base plate comes in Ill modify and post pics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Damn, too late on my post, but you could do what I did and send her to a motorcycle driving school and get her own bike to ride. The wife has her sportster now, but rides the VRod anytime I'm ridin' my Chopper.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sissy bar

Ok, so I finally got all the parts in and the sissy bar and seat combo works great on the 06 screamin eagle v rod, here are the part numbers I used
Base plate 51120-01a
Sissy bar 51126-01a
chrome luggage rack 51119-01a
back rest pad 52748-02
you really only need 2 - 3/8'' spacers and 2 longer bolts for the front 2 bolt holes in the base plate, as far as making another plate for the slot in the seat, I didnt I just bent the tab on the seat up just a small bit and it worked perfect and actually pulls the seat down snug in the back. The only problem, which to me is not really a problem is a gap on the very front of the base plate but when the sun downer seat is on it hides this gap ( see pics )

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice job! I'm in the same boat, and after seeing your pics, I think I'll give it a shot...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Finally got around to trying this, now I can't believe I waited so long! Was very simple to get the fit right, and like Fireman164 stated, a Sundowner hides all the gaps completely. Go do this!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your passenger will love you more now. I also bought the kuryakyn tall sissy bar , my wife hated it , said it vibrated so bad that her back was numb , so I sold it . I bought some passenger floorboards for her too , they really don't look bad at all and she loves them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sundowner

Fireman,
Which Sundowner seat did you use? part #? Also, is the Luggage rack needed for this all to fit together, or can i delete that and still get the sissy bar, pad & seat to work? Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts