Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Still too slow
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I avoid the dealership like the dentist. But.. the bearings in my Hogpro front wheel are shot. I took the wheel into Southside Harley here in Virginia Beach and got blank stares and total confusion. They (the service group) huddled and whispered to each other before coming to a consensus opinion that since my wheel was not sold by Harley, they could not work on it. (It uses the standard Harley 1 inch bearing.) I expressed my dismay and they retorted with "we have damaged custom wheels before, therefore we won't work on custom wheels." Pathetic, they have zero confidence that their techs can can successfully perform a very basic maintenance item.
2 years ago this same dealership also refused to install my "200 metzler" because I didn't purchase the tire there and they were uncertain that it would fit on the rim. :banghead:

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Chip give me a shout, there is a sport bike shop over here by me that will replace your bearings for you. **** Southside Harley.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Chip said:
I avoid the dealership like the dentist. But.. the bearings in my Hogpro front wheel are shot. I took the wheel into Southside Harley here in Virginia Beach and got blank stares and total confusion. They (the service group) huddled and whispered to each other before coming to a consensus opinion that since my wheel was not sold by Harley, they could not work on it. (It uses the standard Harley 1 inch bearing.) I expressed my dismay and they retorted with "we have damaged custom wheels before, therefore we won't work on custom wheels." Pathetic, they have zero confidence that their techs can can successfully perform a very basic maintenance item.
2 years ago this same dealership also refused to install my "200 metzler" because I didn't purchase the tire there and they were uncertain that it would fit on the rim. :banghead:
I share your dealership frustration on this topic. I took my swingarm into a dealer here in Miami to have the bearing and bushing installed. They only pushed the bearing in halfway and I only realized this after I had re installed it on the bike. So I had to disassemble it and take it back and tell them to press the bearing all the way in. They even had the old swingarm to go by when they pressed the bearing the first time and still did not do it right (after I paid them a full hr of labor $80.00 for a ten minute job). I also had another dealership tell me they would install tires not bought from there but when I had the tires shipped to this dealer to install, they told me they did not install tires that were not purchased at their dealership...I was pissed. I really don't know why it is so hard to run a quality shop, it must be really hard to find good supervision these days. I know there are good shops and if you have one, congrats because I have yet to find one in the two cities I have lived in.

·
Still too slow
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
smoothrod said:
Chip give me a shout, there is a sport bike shop over here by me that will replace your bearings for you. **** Southside Harley.
Lonnie, I took the wheel to Brickhouse yesterday. They didn't have a bearing puller but said they would get one today and get the job done. At least Brickhouse didn't send me packing. We will see what happens.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I understand each dealer has it's own special rules and they learn from mistakes but blatantly jerking a customers chain sucks.
This morning Leo told me that Jville Harley won't order a Barnett clutch for him,he will install it,he just wants the parts.I can have non Harley parts drop shipped if,I want,from the dealer I use.
I just don't understand this.At the end of the month when the figures are tallied,it would'nt make a rats ass to me where the money came from as long as my commission check was fat,evidently some employees in certain dealers don't have a friggin clue as to how it works.
I have seen the gross figures for parts sales at the local dealer here and they are as high as some of the car dealers I've worked at.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Third of 4
289 Posts
I had a 98 FLTR with an S&S 124" motor, Baker 6 speed, BDL 3" open primary, PM brakes and wheels, Dakota digital gauges, 7.5 gallon tank, Corbin seat, built in GPS, etc. and Harley dealers wouldn’t even consider working on it. A dealership in Wyoming told me they didn’t work on anything that wasn’t Harley because of liability and insurance problems. Others have told me they don’t want to make their shops responsible for custom (read non-Harley) work. To some extent I can understand both of those points of view and that’s what the independent after market shops are all about anyway. But when the transmission blew up just outside of Hood River, a dealer in Portland took that broken, 68,000 mile FLTR on trade for an 07 VRSCAW. To fix the transmission they referred me to an independent shop, but they took the broken bike as a trade-in. So maybe dealers have one set of ‘rules’ for non-Harley equipped used bikes and another for working on non-Harley equipped customer bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts