Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second hand muscle wheel has turned up. What's the bearing pocket depth supposes to be? This one has one bearing missing and a lot of swarf in the other pocket. I suspect it has been machined to take a standard old V-Rod bearing (which would be clever, since I just got John to get me the right bearings to make a stock Muscle wheel fit an 07).

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Has anyone made a muscle wheel fit an 07? I mean I have seen them on the 08's. I do know the bearings were a problem on the older bikes and the muscle wheels. I have heard rumor that they need to be machined out to fit the older bearings. Sharkey has said he can get bearings that work, but I have yet to see it done.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sharkey has got me bearings. I'm sure they will be fine. On the other hand it looks like I've got a wheel that has been ready machined, so if you want some bearings at a discount, watch this space.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
I haven't done the muscle rear wheel swap but did a lot of research before. From those who have done it, this is the bearing they use for 07 and older bike:

http://www.snowmobilebearings.com/6205-2RS-16-Bearings-1x52x15-Sealed.htm

so i assume the pocket is 15mm?

this is the only parts you will need. you will use everything else from your stock 07: all spacers (inner + outer) , comp. bowl, pulley.

again, this is only base on my research. some has been successfully done 08 AW/DX conversion, and on 08+ the muscle wheel is a straight swap, so I conclude muscle wheel dimension is exactly the same as 08+ AW/DX wheel.

good luck and please post your notes!

·
Defender of Freedom
716 Posts
Ok, so I know I'm resurrecting all these old Muscle wheel swap threads but for good reason. I'm going to do it on my 07DX and I'm going to dispell myths, reaffirm truths and provide anyone who wants it a consolidated thread for everything you need to do for both wheels.

What I can tell you about the bearing pocket depth is speculation until my wheels get here next week, but in looking at the new V Rods and examining the wheel install kit this is what I can hypothesize:

Bearings on the new (08 & up) wheels are 15mm wide. Bearings on the 07DX are 20mm wide. The new wheels have to account for the non ABS option which takes up about 3mm inside the bearing pocket. If you look at the installation kits they all come with shims that sit behind the bearing at the seat of the pocket. These shims are ~3mm, giving a total of 18mm worth of "stuff" that rests within the bearing pocket. On inspection of the 08 & newer bikes there is approximately ~2-3mm of space left from where the bearing face is to the hub face. So roughly 2-3mm of recess. If I had to guess I would say the bearing pockets on the Muscle wheels are somewhere between 20-21mm in depth. I'll measure the pockets once I get my wheels and also measure the DX pockets for comparison. I think the issue may be the inner sleeve (bearing spacer) from a DX may be a little short. I've ordered the Muscle specific inner sleeves, but plan to use my stock 1" axle and bearings as long as the pockets measure out to at least 20mm deep.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
When the D wheels 1st came out we cut the bearing pocket so both were the same depth and I used the stock 03 axle, bearing, spacer etc and this made the wheel a bolt on.

If I was to install a F wheel on my bike I would have it machined. :deal:

·
Defender of Freedom
716 Posts
When the D wheels 1st came out we cut the bearing pocket so both were the same depth and I used the stock 03 axle, bearing, spacer etc and this made the wheel a bolt on.

If I was to install a F wheel on my bike I would have it machined. :deal:
You don't happen to have any of those measurements handy do you? Original pocket depth, how many mm you machined out?

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
No sir......

I dropped the wheel off and they machine the pocket to match the solid wheel.

I used 08 axle, bearings and spacers on the front wheel to make it a bolt on.

·
Defender of Freedom
716 Posts
Front Muscle wheel bearing pocket depth is 18mm and 21mm. I would imagine the 18mm side is the left (ABS Sensor) side.

Hopefully the rear wheel will get here tomorrow and I can measure the bearing pocket depth on it.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Front Muscle wheel bearing pocket depth is 18mm and 21mm. I would imagine the 18mm side is the left (ABS Sensor) side.

Hopefully the rear wheel will get here tomorrow and I can measure the bearing pocket depth on it.
My front wheel is a D not a F.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts