Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have attached a pdf file showing how I installed the KenDay batwing fairing. We may (if there is enough demand) be able to get this through the forum store. In the meantime, the file includes enough info to recreate my installation.

If you can't open the pdf, send me a pm with your e-mail address.

Attachments

·
Rallycaust Survivor
11,141 Posts
Great write up Dan. :thumb:

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
lock842 said:
how do you like it?
Just got back from a 500 mile ride to Mena Ark. It was 29Fthis morning, up on the mountain, but I was dressed for it. This is the best wind protection I have found (and I've looked at every combination). Absolutely stable, no updraft. And I certainly get comments (most of them good....).

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I broke my third HD quick release clamp putting the fairing back on after repairing my self inflicted wiring wound. These baby's are real delicate.

I broke the first by mounting the clamp where the release lever just barely hits the frame at full turn. Turns out, thats all it takes to snap the pinch lever. Put the bike up on the stand to re do things, and the bars swept the other way and broke the other one!

This time, putting the fairing back on, the top bracket wasn't extended and when I clamped one side, it was enough force to snap the other one (in the same place). I tried JB weld, JB weld reinforced with metal wire, all to no avail. So off to the shop I went.

Complained that this was the third one I had broken, and showed them where it breaks (not the one I tried to repair!). And they gave me another, no charge! :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

Brent Walkoviac mounted the same fairing to the old full windshield clamps. I posted his pics below. If I was doing it again, I'd probably do it like he did.

And an Update - after probably 10K miles with the fairing, I can state it is on unequivocal success! The speakers can be heard at speed, (when not wearing the FF helmet, once I repaired my self-shorted power lead), my hands are shielded from the cold (I rode at 20F to work the other day, but did have the Gerbings plugged in). There is Zero updraft, and the short shield allows my head to remain in clear air, for minimal turbulence.

So for those of you tired of the buffeting, give it a shot.

Attachments

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update. I installed a billet (bullet?) headlight to get it to be flush with the front of the fairing.

Attachments

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RidePhat said:
Looks good D. When will we find you in our neck of the woods again?
Was there without the bike (momentarily) on Wed evening. After all flights to Dallas were canceled (again) I rented a car and drove home. Left John Wayne Apt at 5pm (very bad timing). Made it to Riverside about 6:30! Spent the night in Phoenix. Got to Dallas at midnight Thursday.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
V-Fred said:
Daniii: Much, much, much better. Looks like it should now. Good job.

Fred
Thanks Fred. One of these days, I'll get back up your way.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone asked about the latest avitar. I mounted the tall windshield 4" up, behind the lower one, using the short one as the support and Memphis shade hardware. Now its the right height for my 6"2" frame.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
<--- speechless

glad you like it though, and nice write up

·
Registered
52 Posts
Using Original Batwing Mounts

I recently purchased the KD Batwing and I found a way to use the KD actual quick disconnect brackets. The key is to use an older set of HD quick disconnect mounts, get some 1 1/2" bolts with several nuts from Lowes and replace the stock HD bolts. This 1" extension on each side fits the KD brackets/mounts perfectly. One additional step is modify the lower slot on the mount. You can use a drill bit to elongate the slot and then just trim the ends apropriately.

To move the headlight forward, I took two 1" blocks of aluminum, which moved the light sufficiently forward so it looked even with the edge of the fairing. I still have to polish the aluminum blocks so they blend in better, but they show up better in the picture unpolished.

Following Danii's lead I've ordered a HD fairing bra and will use it instead of painting at this time.

A work in progress . . .

Attachments

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a few thousand miles with the fairing, I find that I prefer the shorter windscreen. Its really the best solution. My head is in clear air, with no helmet updraft or buffeting. I usually wear the full face helmet, especially on the hiway. In the summer, it cools better when not behind a shield.
I finally gave up on the speakers. I had some weird electrical interference with the amp, so I just pulled everything off. Without the speakers as counterweights, the bike is actually more responsive. And the autocom helmet speakers work great.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The saga continues. Following a guy on a Triumph triple sport tourer, I discovered a slight 'instability' at 115mph and above. Got worse when I let up. So when over at Max's the other day, we tightened the head bearings (fall-away) and then I moved the fairing up and out at the bottom. Originally, the lower part of the fairing was esentially vertical, now it slopes back. This should give me some downdraft. This required moving the V-Gauge down to the top of the triple tree (it was mounted to the fairing, but the clearance between the handlebar / gauge cluster and windshield went down when I moved the fairing bottom outward.) I drilled and tapped two holes in the aluminum plug that came with the headlight, and bolted it onto that. I have to lean forward just a bit to see all of it, but it may be enough in the shade to read it when the sun is behind me.
I put some plastic trim around the edge of the bra, and I'll be relocating the headlight up, and forward, this week, and will post pictures.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As threatened, here is the update:

Final (for now) position of the batwing:

Headlight was moved up and forward, to fit the new location. I fabbed a bracket out of aluminum to use 2 headlight mounts that are available for the light (the stock one, and the V-Rod one):

I put some edge trim (Pepboys!) on the HD Bra and reinstalled the rumble road speakers (removing the internal amps, which finally failed).

I relocated the 12 cigarette lighter socket (required to relocate the fairing) and reinstalled the speaker amplifier. Notice the iPod car charger plugged in. I move the output from the XM radio to the AutoCom system (located in the right saddlebag), just above, to the jack on the charger to listen to my new iPod Touch (early X-Mas present from Jenny!). To use the amp, I connect it either to the XM or the iPod directly. The earlier "Y" connection to the AutoCom caused an impedence issue with the amp.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
(cont:)
I fabbed a mount on the right side of the fairing for my new iPod touch. This is mounted the same as the one on the left where I mount the XM radio.

The V-Gauge had to be relocated, so I affixed it to the top triple tree, to the dummy plug that replaced the stock headlight mount. The sides of the gauge can be easily seen from the riding position. Leaning slightly forward, I can see the rest. And the sun has to be in exactly the right position behind me to wash out the gauge.

The block above it is my garage door opener. The black ties are stretchable adjustable ties that allow me to secure the XM and iPod. There is also velcro on the back of the iPod. Can't be too secure.

PS: I can adjust the iPod volume at the 12V plug, as it can't be adjusted with gloves on directly.

So far, so good. Now for the 115MPH test......

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Figured I'd update this two year old thread. Had a lay down a year ago (on the way to the KC meet) and scratched / gouged the HD Bra on the fairing. When I replaced it, I simply stretched the new Bra around the ends and its great. No painting required!

The Tourpak was also damaged, so I replaced it with a Premium Leather TourPak, on CycleVision / Road King luggage rack. Also mounted "F" bags.

The Garmin 550 Zumo has replaced all the other stuff up front.

The sw radio controls under the Left switch set changes screens and resets the V-Gauge.

I'm still working on getting good sound out of the speakers. I ordered a set for the tourpak, and will rewire the whole mess (yet again).

I do still have the aux fuel tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts