Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one ever heard of this problem? my battery is discharging, this is the second time its done it to me, theres not enough voltage to kick the bendex out on the starter, when i tested the batterie it read at 9.6V put the trickel charger on and then no problems for aobut a month then it did it again!
:stupid:

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
What year is your VROD? If its an 02 it might be time for a new one......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a 03 purchesed in june new now i have 3500 on it:cheers:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
caseywloen, the batteries are not very big and don't have a big reserve. Many people have reported that using the alarm or having the alarm self set causes this problem. Also even a discharged battery will usually read around 12 volts. A battery with one bad cell will read around 10 volts.:2cents

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep,

Got a new battery within 9 months. European models like mine always activate the alarm after 30 seconds. No way to switch it of so it will drain the battery.
I've installed a special plug (can also been used to jumper start the engine) and recharge the battery every week.
If you pay 28 grant (thats the price you pay in Holland for a VROD) they should at least give you a trickle charger and plug installed for free.
Anyway, if it dies next year again I will claim a new battery again . They gave me 3 years warrantee.
It looks perfect, drives awesome but the word quality is not yet in the dictionairy of HD.

Jan

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
When I bought my bike I was warned that the battery would drain fast if you use an alarm regularly. I was recommended thatn I buy a battery tender and plug in the bike while it was sitting at home.

So far so good. 4200 mi since June 27th, and has yet to fail to start.... :)

-Bry

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
bbruce65 I never use my alarm and mine has a born on date of april 02 and has never failed. But my last battery test showed 12.2 volts meaning I will probably need to replace the battery soon.

It would be nice to find an Optima that would fit the hole.

Max

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Max,

Unfortunately, living in the Detroit area, I use my alarm constantly. Even if it is parked in the garage. The battery tender seems to be working well for me. The start-ups have been better especially in 40 deg weather.

Let me know if you find an Optima that will fit. I think that the electrical system needs all the help it can get...

-Bry

·
Registered
601 Posts
I saw something about the Odyssey battery on Corbin Ride-on about how they made the Odyssey and how they were one of the few that meets the Government's Mil specs.

Here is a write up about the battery from the show:

http://www.rideontv.com/episodes/2003Season/CRN8001/odyssey.html

Hope this might be of interest.

Dave

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Trickle Charger

Harley has a trickle charger for about 35 bucks. A good investment. Mine works great. Just have the dealer install the $6 harness to the battery and have them run it along the left side and at the end of each ride plug in the trickle charger. Within 2 hrs the light will be green and your battery is fully charged!

/Mark

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
I bought the same charger,a battery tender jr from Arizona motorsports for $19.99 and the battery harness was included.Think I got it though Yahoo Auctions.

·
Registered
582 Posts
ARRGGHH!

Dudes,

Tell me - is there a way to pull a fuze or to switch off the factory alarm? My battery is being discharged and as the bike is stored in secure parking I can't always get to a power plug for my battery tender!

I'm tired of pushing the bike to a plug, recharging, or worse yet getting a boost!

Pulling the battery is also a *lot * of work.

Thanks,

Rodman

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
rodman by default the US made bikes should not arm the alarm. I'll check when I get a chance you should be able to pull a fuse but if your not arming the alarm you might have another problem or just a bad battery.

·
Registered
284 Posts
G'day everyone, and Merry Christmas.
Please don't think I'm being patronising, but at the dealership here in Townsville, a fella who was storing his 03 Two Tone V Rod brought it in with a flat battery.
He was turning the key off to the Assessories position and never riding the bike, thus draining the battery without noticing in the day time sunlight.
The shop initially couldn't figure it out, as they didn't see the key position due to the key being removed by a dealer.
Not suggesting this is the fault for all of the above, but it's something to keep in the back of your mind.

Best wishes.

Ken.
(New Power Shots fitted, but was sent the wrong Power Commander, and now it wont get to me until 2004. Bugger!)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Actually, he also has the alarm fitted, so it could have been either!

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
I can tell you this...............after leaving the alarm armed for 10 days roughy( may have been less) my battery wouldn't turn my bike over. I have yet to acquire a battery tender for the V-rod, however I do have one on the waverunner. I found that when your out on the water with a dead battery, your up sh*t creek! LOL At least on land you can jump it or bump it!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Iv'e got one fitted to my Seadoo GTX 4 Tech as well. It's always on when the skis out of the water.
As you said, you don't get a second chance.
I also have one fitted to my Ride On Mower, 47 Indian Chief, my 4 x 4 and my V Rod.
May seem a bit anal, but a charger is a lot cheeper than a new battery!

Best wishes.

Ken.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Ken..sounds as if your all charged up my friend!!:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :biker:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I left the key on once... battery will keep the headlight on for 3 hours, but not start the bike. also found that with this bike, you can't push start it. My thinking is no electricity=no fuel pump= no fuel pressure= lots of sweaty upset friends. luckily I was at the dealer, and they charged up the battery for me for free. lesson learned

1 - 20 of 84 Posts