Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to install the wires for my battery tender within the next few days on my 11 DX. Is there a short cut to the battery in order to do so. Or do I have to remove the air cover, filter, etc...?

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Yes, you have to take a few things off, 1 minute job for removal........Are you sure the pigtail isn't already there somewhere, should be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I haven't checked for an existing cable. I will definitely look before removing anything. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Agreed, since '09 the pigtails are supposedly installed during setup at the dealer. My last three bikes had it when I bought them.

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
The presence of a Battery tender pigtail depends a lot on the model year and which dealer sold the bike. It was not a standard item. I do not know if today it is standard or not. Some dealers installed them as a courtesy in the later year models

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Wasn't on mine when delivered. SHOULD be a "courtesy thing", dealer SHOULD point it out and recommend the purchase of the battery tender.

At any rate - YES you have to pull the airbox cover - YES you should pull the right side cover and remove the maxi-fuse when fiddling with the battery connections.

Where you locate the end of the pigtail is purely a matter of personal choice - depending on how often you plan to use it, and whether or not you want to remove a cover when you do.

I have mine cable-tied to the right-side upper frame, as I use mine for a power-point also - to power my tank bag with IPad GPS, phone charger, MiFi hotspot, etc. - when on road trips.

Another "option" I've seen, is a cigarette lighter power-point that mounts on the handlebars or fork tube, that has a lighter-style insert with a pigtail on the other end. Serves dual purpose as a power-point for phones/etc., a lighter, and a place to plug a battery tender into...

Rick

·
Beach Bum
2,189 Posts
These are dealer installed items on new bikes and our dealer "forgets" to install them all the time.

When I put my tender on, I routed it to the right side cover. There is just enough of a gap on the front side that I can push the end in and out so I don't have to remove the cover to use it.

Or, if you don't use it much, just put it behind the cover. It is just one screw to take out to pull it out then.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a pig tail and it's hidden (tucked) behind the top of the radiator shroud. They put it in when I had the Lo Jack installed. The tender works great

PX4Storm..What cal you got? I have one also.

·
Now on a VRSCDX!!!
604 Posts
I bought an 11 a few weeks ago turn your forks all the way to the right up at the top left of the neck you will see the pigtail they come that way from the factory my dealer puts NOTHING on as a courtesy LOL

·
Registered
182 Posts
Out of curiosity, are the bikes delivered from H-D with battery's installed or does the dealer do this?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought an 11 a few weeks ago turn your forks all the way to the right up at the top left of the neck you will see the pigtail they come that way from the factory my dealer puts NOTHING on as a courtesy LOL
This is the installation routing shown in my '09 Service Manual.

·
Now on a VRSCDX!!!
604 Posts
I was out messing with the bike this a.m. so I took this picture this is EXACTLY where the pigtail is on an '11 (with the tender plugged in) hope it helps

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Mine were all installed at the dealer. They are on the left side wire tied to the harness behind the radiator. Very clean and convienent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like everyones got set up different but mine were zip tied on the inside of the frame just below on/off ignition switch. Took me a minute to find but very convenient and hidden.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts