Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Do I need to go with the H-D battery tender or are they all the same? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris
'07 Night Rod Special

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
they're all pretty much the same, except the HD one costs 40% more

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...I also notice some are 1 amp and some are 1.5 amp. What's recommended?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
amps do not matter as long as it is a "smart" charger or battery maintainer.
I went with a "battery tender Jr." for my first unit as it was on sale locally for $20. I've since purchased a dual bank wall mounted Battery Tender. Keep the bike & my Lincoln connected at all times.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Go to Target,K-Mart,Wal-Mart or a large store like one of these and get the tender they sell.
It's a nice little kit and costs less than 20 bucks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi All,

Do I need to go with the H-D battery tender or are they all the same? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris
'07 Night Rod Special
Got mine (Junior version) from jafrum.com along with some other s**t, like leather pants (love them!) and other bits and pieces.
Nice tender, nothing fancy byt does the job.

·
But I AM standing up
166 Posts
I have 3 of the Battery Tender Jr.s. They're great. You can get them on Amazon right now for $23.00 with free shipping.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Can I ask an ignorant question? I just bought my first Harley - an '09 Muscle. I have ridden Kawasakis and Yamahas most of my life. I have never used or needed a battery tender. Yet I read posts on the forum talking about them like they are standard equipment. Why do Harleys need a battery tender? Do they not charge enough or does the battery trickle down quickly or what? I am ready to order one and stick it in the shed, but I would love to understand why first.

Jimmy

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
I personally only keep mine on the tender during the winter and during long periods where I won't be riding. I have an 05B with the original battery and have drained the battery twice and it still keeps charging.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Very cool. Thanks. Since I live in Vegas, I will probably not have to rush out and buy a tender right away. Appreciate the input.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Can I ask an ignorant question? I just bought my first Harley - an '09 Muscle. I have ridden Kawasakis and Yamahas most of my life. I have never used or needed a battery tender. Yet I read posts on the forum talking about them like they are standard equipment. Why do Harleys need a battery tender? Do they not charge enough or does the battery trickle down quickly or what? I am ready to order one and stick it in the shed, but I would love to understand why first.

Jimmy
You will come to discover that Most people on HD's Dont actually ride them very much, they instead Dress up funny in HD gear, put stickers on their autos, mailboxes, signs in garages and name their dogs after the Corp but yet the Bike? It sits alot, if not at home, it will be on a trailer or it will be riden a short distance to a parking lot full of other HD's where they sit and complain about everyone else in the world.

·
I piss excellence
492 Posts

Jimmy
I don't remember where I read it, but it was an article about batteries and how they will discharge over time if left to sit without being used or connected to a tender. The general rule is that they will discharge approximately 1% a day, just from sitting unused. So, with that said, a fully charged battery will be down to about 70% after sitting for a month, and down to 40% after 2 months, etc., etc. I've found this theory to be pretty accurate, having had several vehicles, (cars, ATV's, motorcycles,) sit for an extended period of time without being hooked up to a battery tender, and lo and behold, they don't want to start after a couple months. If you want to guarantee you will get the maximum amount of life from your battery, get a tender for it.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
I recommend battery tender brand products. Many of the cheap copies are just small chargers with no real maintenance function and will harm your battery over time.

I use a tender on the 2nd bike, the hot rod, the generator, etc.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Deltran Battery Tender Junior

$17.99 HERE, or $40 at your friendly local Harley Shoppe, w/B&S logo. Comes with a fused ring-terminal pigtail (to leave attached to the battery) and an alligator clamp pigtail to use the tender on other batteries temporarily.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Some of the cheaper ones don't have a cable that you can leave connected to the battery. Really handy with the location of vrod battery. I have a Deltran Junior and it comes with the extra cable that you can leave on the battery and then just hook that cable to your tender.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You will come to discover that Most people on HD's Dont actually ride them very much, they instead Dress up funny in HD gear, put stickers on their autos, mailboxes, signs in garages and name their dogs after the Corp but yet the Bike? It sits alot, if not at home, it will be on a trailer or it will be riden a short distance to a parking lot full of other HD's where they sit and complain about everyone else in the world.
Best. Post. Ever.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Don't forget that on newer bikes there is always something drawing power to some extent.Clock comes to mind first.Not likely to kill the batt. in a couple days(or weeks)but if it sits a couple months?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ha! Ha!

That is hilarious! Not the least bit cynical, either. Lol. Thanks for a whole new way of looking at Harley riders. I will never be the same.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts