Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went on an hour ride yesterday it was 95 degrees and was riding my vrscdx pretty hard, got home and it was pretty hot, the check engine like and the battery light were both on. i left it in the driveway for a little bit to cool down then i went outside to start it to ride it into the garage and it wouldnt start and would only turn over once. hooked it up to the battery tender and was able to get it to start 20 minutes later. today it started fine first try both times i tried. is it possible due to the heat the battery is weakening and especially after the heat due to weather combined with how how the bike actually was it was having trouble turning yesterday after the ride?

thanks for any help. im assuming i need a new battery?

·
Registered
92 Posts
So i went on an hour ride yesterday it was 95 degrees and was riding my vrscdx pretty hard, got home and it was pretty hot, the check engine like and the battery light were both on. i left it in the driveway for a little bit to cool down then i went outside to start it to ride it into the garage and it wouldnt start and would only turn over once. hooked it up to the battery tender and was able to get it to start 20 minutes later. today it started fine first try both times i tried. is it possible due to the heat the battery is weakening and especially after the heat due to weather combined with how how the bike actually was it was having trouble turning yesterday after the ride?

thanks for any help. im assuming i need a new battery?
This is your voltage regulator my friend! had the same problem month ago, better fix it asap!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is this an expensive fix? and the longer i wait im assuming the higher likelyhood it will blow everything electrical?

could this be the reason my Neutral light has been flickering lately or turning completely off?

·
Registered
92 Posts
is this an expensive fix? and the longer i wait im assuming the higher likelyhood it will blow everything electrical?

could this be the reason my Neutral light has been flickering lately or turning completely off?
Really dont know the price of the regulator, mine was covered by waranty. For the neutral, no clue either, it could be caused by the regulator put i cannot be sure!

·
Registered
143 Posts
FIX IT RIGHT AWAY.

Mine did the same thing and I got stuck at work!!! Get the part and replace it your self. Pretty easy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i appreciate everyones help and im about to spend the money on the new regulator, however, i figured id give this one more bit of information to make sure this is what everyone assumes is the problem....

so i go outside today and start the bike and it starts but it turns over slightly lethargic and starts... runs for 10 minutes and i turn it off, i then immediately go to start it again and all i get is fast clicks from the starter with no turn over.

so 2 hours later i go back outside and start the bike again, this time the turn over is even more lethargic, however, it does start.... run it for a bit then turn it off... go to immediately start it again and jst fast clicks from the starter and no turnover... ??? sounding like the voltage reg or bad battery?

thanks again
-black

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Battery !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
now im torn.... haha...... :banghead:

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
Hot engines are harder to turn over then cold ones which is why you are seeing the symptoms you see.
Have your battery checked then replace it first. More common for a battery to go bad than a regulator.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks a lot for all of the help ill give it a shot and keep everyone updated just as an FYI. thanks again.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Get the battery tested, most local parts stores will do it for free and getting the battery out takes little time and no cost. See how that goes then look to the regulator, always start with the easy free or cheap stuff first

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i took out the battery this morning and it was a bigger pain in the neck than i thought it would be, however, i took it to batteryplus and had them test it, voltage was low and they suggested the battery was shot. so i get home with the new battery and install and reassemble the bike. starts right up. go for a 20 min ride and by about min 15 the battery light and engine light pop on. they stay on until i get home and turn off the bike. turn it off and it starts right back up again like it should; so that problem is solved (or is it.....) but now im getting the battery adn engine light............. still the voltage regulator as well???

:broke:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha its all good i learned a lot about the bike and im happy for that at least... not happy that ill be spending more money tho...

the codes the bike is showing (on a side note) are

P0113 Current IAT sensor open/high 4.21 DTCP0112, P0113
and
P0562 Current Battery voltage low 4.28 DTC P0562, P0563

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
actually disregard the P0113 Current IAT sensor open/high 4.21 DTCP0112, P0113
code i remember when i was putting the bike back together i started it to make sure it was good to go with the IAT clip out so it probably saved that code from before so at the moment the only real code is the P0562 Current Battery voltage low 4.28 DTC P0562, P0563...... regulator it is then...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Change the reg. Been there done all that two or three times the one for the dx is a little under 200$ be careful with radiator shroud ...one little hex key screw on bottom and it should pop off and back on easilly also be sure to check grounds on engine block and frame and make sure not lose or coroded first but i'll bet you money it's the reg. Good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
When the check engine light and battery light come on it is generally the VR. J&P has them for about $160. Over $200 at the dealer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cant you put a volt meter on the battery while the bike is running to verify the charging voltage? If its around 13 volts at idle and with some RPM changes it should still stay about the same as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts