Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:ithappen: I'm at work and it looks like my battery is going to be dead when I try to go home later.

I've been having battery trouble since I took the bike out of storage (The battery was totally dead). I have since put it on charge at least 4 times, and it just doesn't seem to hold the charge at all. Anyway, when I started it at lunch time to let a few guys hear my self-cut pipes, I got the starter click from hell sound. It finally started and I let it run, but I'm worried it will be dead later.

Anyhow, my wife said she would bring me a new battery at work, and I'm wondering how much effort it is to get the battery out? Another thread is stating that the entire airbox needs to come out... not something I want to do in the parking lot at work. --- I could get a jump start, but how embareassing is that?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
John, according to the manual, the airbox has to be removed. I think that the airbox covers teh battery strap clip that you need to release to remove the battery. Good lock...

·
Registered
100 Posts
DC LJ,

There is a section in the How To forum on removing the battery. It does not sound like fun or something that would be great to do in the parking lot with other people leaving the building and stopping by to 'see what you are doing'. On the other hand, I think you could CAREFULLY get to the battery posts with the two side covers and/or airbox skin off if you wanted to jump-start it.

Good luck and please don't zap yourself if you go the jump-start route.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
You should be able to jump the bike off without removing anything at all. If you look from the left side between the engine and the radiator you will see the starter sol near the center between the fans. Pull the rubber cover boot back to expose the top post battery cable. Clamp the jumper cable positive cable on that lug first. Make sure it is secure and won't fall loose before you make the ground connection. You can hook the negative to any good spot on the block, I suggest looking at the lower bolts on the 30t pulley cover as they are well hidden and a small mark on them if you get a spark would not hurt anything.

Max

Note I had to edit this after checking the schematic. You could do it right off the starter but the sol is a much safer spot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts