Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this bike for about 3 years and i rarely drive it. Just once or twice here and there. It seems like if i let it sit for a few months that the battery is completely dead a wont take a charge. I have been through about 2-3 batteries since i have owned this bike. I have always had japanese bikes and never had this problem with them. ANy tips? Is it the stock alarm killing it?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
do you have the security system installed on your bike?
You can either disconnect the battery during storage, which is a major PITA (Pain In The Ass) due to the battery location, or purchase a battery tender and keep bike plugged in 24/7 when not riding.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
The alarm is hard on batteries. It seems the alarm will run the battery dead in a month or so. Once you have run a battery completely dead a few times it will fail. Either ride it more or get a battery tender to keep your battery charged up.

I've had my bike eight years and changed the battery once; then only because the battery was 5 years old and I was going out of town. I don't have an alarm. And, I take my keys with me when I park the bike. :)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
do you have the security system installed on your bike?
You can either disconnect the battery during storage, which is a major PITA (Pain In The Ass) due to the battery location, or purchase a battery tender and keep bike plugged in 24/7 when not riding.
Or just remove the Maxi Fuse

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Or just remove the Maxi Fuse
since he is located in Philadelphia, PA, removing the maxi-fuse will not do anything to prevent the battery from freezing during the PA subfreezing temperatures during the late fall and winter months.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. I just got a battery tendor and i will just have to get a new battery. I jumped it and drove it for like 20 min and when i got back i turned it off and it would not start back up.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if the headlight was still on, you may be able to save that battery. Connect it to the tender for a day or two (light will turn green when completely charged), than see how it behaves.
20 minutes is not a long enough ride for a battery that was too weak to crank over in the first place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had this bike for about 3 years and i rarely drive it. Just once or twice here and there. It seems like if i let it sit for a few months that the battery is completely dead a wont take a charge. I have been through about 2-3 batteries since i have owned this bike. I have always had japanese bikes and never had this problem with them. ANy tips? Is it the stock alarm killing it?
You've never owned a Suzuki. Worst bike I've ever had for batteries running out. If it sat for a week and I went to ride it, it'd start the first time but god forbid I needed to stop for gas. Cuz if I did it wouldn't be starting at the gas station.

And from my expirence it takes about an hour to charge a battery back up once you jumped it. Like was said above I'd most definitely put it on the trickle charger until it says it's fully charged and take it out and see if you can restart it after riding it for a bit before you bite the bullet and buy a whole battery. But thats just my two cents.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I showed up at my sisters house today and to my surprise my nephew's new truck was just hit by another vehicle while it sat in street. I jumped off my bike to have a look and forgot to turn off bike key. Was only away from bike for bout 7 min. and when I tried to start it was dead as could be. Happened bout 4 days ago as well. Charged battery and was all good till what I did today. Is this battery bout shot or what? Kinda worried bout takin trip with this one. Should I be? Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I showed up at my sisters house today and to my surprise my nephew's new truck was just hit by another vehicle while it sat in street. I jumped off my bike to have a look and forgot to turn off bike key. Was only away from bike for bout 7 min. and when I tried to start it was dead as could be. Happened bout 4 days ago as well. Charged battery and was all good till what I did today. Is this battery bout shot or what? Kinda worried bout takin trip with this one. Should I be? Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
It's not only the alarm system that needs power. The computer controlling the engine has a memory to maintain. Lead/acid batteries normal state is "flat" so get tender to keep them alive.
If you have a storage shed without power, get a solar powered model.

·
Movin LA to WA state
60 Posts
i am having a few issues and this is one of them first the battery wont hold ill try the security system first if that doesnt work, if its the alternator how much will one of these cost me. second gauges stopped working were looking at wires right now to see if there are any faulty ones.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I have used a battery tender since the day I got my 06, and the battery finally died. I used to replace them every 2 years, just to be safe. Now, 4 or 5 is more like it. Batteries are too important to skimp on. Joe

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks for the idea of maxi fuse. I needed to keep my bike charged up ...now im going to put a toggle switch in line for the maxi/cutoff. .......try and steal it now .....ha haa haaaaaa.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts