Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a starting problems these last couple of weeks. First of all the battery drained to very low voltage (4-5v) due to non-use. I recharged the battery, and know I only get 3-4 starts before the starter solenoid just clicks. I had to jumper the bike with jumper cables to get home one evening last week.

Today, it happened again but since I was home I did a "crude" voltage drop test with my voltmeter.

With air cover removed and a voltmeter across the positive and negative leads of the battery and key out I read 12.2v, I turned key on and voltage dropped to 11.1v, and when I pressed the "run" button the voltage dropped down to 6v. I again jumpered the bike and it started up fine but as soon as I put the bike in gear and let the clutch out it died and again it would just click away.

Am I looking at a bad battery? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If battery replacement is called for the local battery store has a YUASA battery, p/n YTX14-BS available for $59.95 or should I replace the battery with the OEM H-D unit for $65.95?

Thanks in advance :hmm:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I finally fixed my "battery" problem.

Please refer back to this link: http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108 . Redrazor described a situation that was worth looking into. Thanks for the info.

It was right on the money. I found one of the two wires on the starter solenoid(?) loose. I pushed it back in and it made a click upon reseating. The bike has been running great.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've only found the OEM H-D battery and the Yuasa YTX14BS available for our bikes with my brief internet surfing. Battery Plus has the Yuasa for $59.00 and H-D sells theirs for $65.95. Personally for the $6.00 difference, I would buy the H-D unit. BTW: they both carry a 6-months warranty exchange if they fail in that time frame and pro-rated to the year. To bad it's not like a car battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.