Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a starting problems these last couple of weeks. First of all the battery drained to very low voltage (4-5v) due to non-use. I recharged the battery, and know I only get 3-4 starts before the starter solenoid just clicks. I had to jumper the bike with jumper cables to get home one evening last week.

Today, it happened again but since I was home I did a "crude" voltage drop test with my voltmeter.

With air cover removed and a voltmeter across the positive and negative leads of the battery and key out I read 12.2v, I turned key on and voltage dropped to 11.1v, and when I pressed the "run" button the voltage dropped down to 6v. I again jumpered the bike and it started up fine but as soon as I put the bike in gear and let the clutch out it died and again it would just click away.

Am I looking at a bad battery? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If battery replacement is called for the local battery store has a YUASA battery, p/n YTX14-BS available for $59.95 or should I replace the battery with the OEM H-D unit for $65.95?

Thanks in advance :hmm:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery. Probably have a short between cells. I have no experence with YUASA batteries. Main thing to look for is it physically the same size as stock? The V-Rod battery is smaller in size than other H-D batteries. Does it have the same (or better) amp rating as the stock?

Hope this helps, and good luck....

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I replaced mine with the OE battery.It solved my hard starting and stalling.I have not used a tender since and it has sat for 4 days at atime.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yuasa batteries supply backup power for just about every burglar alarm panel ever installed. They are reliable in that application but are sealed lead/acid rechargeable batteries.

My battery died (even using the tender) after 2,000 miles. The HD replacement battery off the shelf was just as bad. Finally another one off the shelf worked. Dealer told me the HD battery is AGM (Absorbed Gas Mat).

I use AGM batteries in my boat. They are heavier and costlier than lead/acid, but they charge faster, provide higher starting currents (all because they have less internal resistance) and hold their charge on the "shelf" much longer.

For 6 bucks, I'd buy the HD and be safe. But you might go through more than one...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
SSTuner did you by any chance test your running voltage just to see what it was?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just FYI, I wrote Odyssey to inquire if they had a battery for the V-Rod and this is their response. (Odyssey is the Optima battery of motorcycless.)

The V-Rod battery is a YTX14-BS which measures 6" x 3.4375" x 5.75"

The closest Odyssey is the PC535 which is 6.7” x 3.9” x 6.13”

Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I finally fixed my "battery" problem.

Please refer back to this link: http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108 . Redrazor described a situation that was worth looking into. Thanks for the info.

It was right on the money. I found one of the two wires on the starter solenoid(?) loose. I pushed it back in and it made a click upon reseating. The bike has been running great.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Attached is a photo of the wire/module in question. Sorry for the quality.

Attachments

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
Always nice to find an easy fix, rarely happens that way! I'm going home today & check my connectors, thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
My battery may be on the way to battery heavan! The tender light dont blink!
what is a good battery replacement? H-D battery or Yuasa YTX14BS?
has anyone fitted a Odessey to V-Rod ?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've only found the OEM H-D battery and the Yuasa YTX14BS available for our bikes with my brief internet surfing. Battery Plus has the Yuasa for $59.00 and H-D sells theirs for $65.95. Personally for the $6.00 difference, I would buy the H-D unit. BTW: they both carry a 6-months warranty exchange if they fail in that time frame and pro-rated to the year. To bad it's not like a car battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts