Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
03 , I use a H.D. trickle charger since new. Bike has been starting fine but for the last few weeks the light has been red instead of green. Bike has started and ran fine. A few days ago I noticed it went to green. Today when I started it it turned over week but started. I shut it off it clicked but then started. Wouldn’t idle at all. Battery is H.D. 2 years old. Advance auto check battery and said 65 Cca. Nowhere else open. Possibly bad battery or something else? Others have lasted for several years. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Bad battery CCA way too low. My original battery went bad in 18 months

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
03 bro’s, I use a H.D. trickle charger since new. Bike has been starting fine but for the last few weeks the light has been red instead of green. Bike has started and ran fine. A few days ago I noticed it went to green. Today when I started it it turned over week but started. I shut it off it clicked but then started. Wouldn’t idle at all. Battery is H.D. 2 years old. Advance auto check battery and said 65 Cca. Nowhere else open. Possibly bad battery or something else? Others have lasted for several years. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Doubt 65 CCA would turn the engine over since the starter likely draws close to 80-100 amps.. New for the 1130cc it's a stated 220 CCA battery. Entirely possible the battery is toast regardless of age. Charge it fully and let it sit for an hour or so unhooked from charger and bike. Then do a volt check and see if the meter is showing a slow decline in voltage, say in a two hour period. If not dropping in volts and it's holding 12.5+ long term, do a load test and see if it passes. Average battery life is 4-5 years. Some can shit the bed in one year , while some can go 7 years. Also, don't rule out the HD charger as a possible problem too. It might not be working as it should. I've had two batteries over the years where the tender was showing full charge, yet it wouldn't spin the engine over when a load was applied to the battery. By the way, if you don't have a load tester, you can use the bike as a crude test unit. Hook up the meter to the battery terminals. Pull the fuel pump fuse so engine won't start and then turn key on and hit the start button. Note the voltage, cranking engine for about 5 seconds. If it drops below 10 volts, the battery is weak and on it's way out.
Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My original lasted about 8 years as did the second. That’s what made me think it could be something else. But I’m thinking the tender could have a problem like you said too! I’m going to load test tomorrow and go from there. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
8 years is great sealed lead acid battery life ! For me personally I don't believe in battery tenders being left on lead acid batteries for long periods of time, a possible fire hazard & they can develop a fully charged but low capacity stance due to top long term ripple charging with no deep higher amp charging. We've got a new battery technology for M/C's - a LiFePo or LFP battery weighs 9 lbs less than old school lead acid boat anchors for the V Rod, I upgraded to the ETX24C EqAh 24 for starting 8 Ah for deep cycle, 420/270 PCA/CCA and only 2.6 Lbs. I just plug mine into a Lithium charger before I ride it, not necessary but good practice - connected it totally top charges in 2-3 minutes while I clean the windshield and hasn't given me any trouble so far in 3+ years & about 12,000 miles. If I stored my bike I'd disconnect it, will hold a charge up to a year. When I pick up the old H-D 12+ Lb. battery I can't believe I ever had that old heavy POS on my bike. Yes, I recommend Earth X, also I put a Shorai in my Triumph so far so good - (y) :cool:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
8 years is great sealed lead acid battery life ! For me personally I don't believe in battery tenders being left on lead acid batteries for long periods of time, a possible fire hazard & they can develop a fully charged but low capacity stance due to top long term ripple charging with no deep higher amp charging. We've got a new battery technology for M/C's - a LiFePo or LFP battery weighs 9 lbs less than old school lead acid boat anchors for the V Rod, I upgraded to the ETX24C EqAh 24 for starting 8 Ah for deep cycle, 420/270 PCA/CCA and only 2.6 Lbs. I just plug mine into a Lithium charger before I ride it, not necessary but good practice - connected it totally top charges in 2-3 minutes while I clean the windshield and hasn't given me any trouble so far in 3+ years & about 12,000 miles. If I stored my bike I'd disconnect it, will hold a charge up to a year. When I pick up the old H-D 12+ Lb. battery I can't believe I ever had that old heavy POS on my bike. Yes, I recommend Earth X, also I put a Shorai in my Triumph so far so good - (y) :cool:
Windshield? I thought you were a hard ass?
Ron

·
VRSC est -03
3,095 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Yes & Yes. Both have saved me from getting hit with debris, large bugs and getting my legs crushed. Open cockpit Pilots have small windshields, wear seatbelts, helmets & goggles :D so I don't know what else to tell ya - other than a hard ass equates to a dumb ass in my neck of the woods, so I'm not in that category I hope ! - besides it's getting hard to hold on at 135+ Mph since my handlebars keep getting higher as I get older ! BTW the 9+ Lbs the LFP battery saved on my bike almost offset the 10 Lbs of crash bars (y);) On a sad note for me and others I found out this am that my good friend Captain Dale " Snort " Snodgrass, notorious F14 Tomcat Driver and one of the REAL LIFE Mavericks from A/F Top Gun and an amazing airshow pilot in the F86F Sabre Jet I rebuilt and many other historic aircraft died this weekend in a crash just after taking off in his single engine Marchetti turboprop. He was a true bad ass, hot shit and cheated death in the most dangerous planes on this planet for most of his 72 years. RIP Dale - (y):cool:

·
Registered
96 Posts
03 , I use a H.D. trickle charger since new. Bike has been starting fine but for the last few weeks the light has been red instead of green. Bike has started and ran fine. A few days ago I noticed it went to green. Today when I started it it turned over week but started. I shut it off it clicked but then started. Wouldn’t idle at all. Battery is H.D. 2 years old. Advance auto check battery and said 65 Cca. Nowhere else open. Possibly bad battery or something else? Others have lasted for several years. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Trickle chargers are the only way to keep batteries healthy for sure. My 06 had its original battery for 6 years. Good when that happens because we all no what a pain replacement is..... That being said I have had batteries fail in a week on some cars. If the battery is only at 65 cca I think that is not enough

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had three Battery Tender brand maintainers and none of them lasted more than a year. Went with a better brand and has been working nonstop for over four years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts