Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Desk Jockey
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months ago I replaced my battery. Its a 03 and figured it must have been old and got a new battery. Well my bike had been sitting for about 3 weeks and yesterday I go to get on and ride and the battery is dead. :banghead: Now I think this just cant be coincidence. Could the alarm be draining the battery? Its the only thing I can think of. Cause the key light flashes when its set. Any ideas?

·
Registered
136 Posts
get a battery tender cause the alarm system drains the battery in about 2 weeks, this type of battery dies often when being deep discharged

·
Registered
31 Posts
My battery kept dying after 2 to 7 days of non-use. Dealer ran diagnostics and found nothing.

The Service Manager keep telling me to put it on a charger if not riding for more than 2 days. :paper:

It finally died while riding it. Then the diagnostic tests showed a bad voltage regulator. :chair:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yea apparantly the dealer didn't run the diagnostics correctly or that would have popped up right away!!!

The other issue is grounds--all of them on the bike just one loose one will mess with your battery BIG TIME!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
My bike is back in the shop. I am not satisfied that the battery cannot support the factory alarm for 7 days thus causing a failure to start. I am talking with H-D Corporate to resolve this starting issue with the battery.

Does anyone have an information or experience on these Spyke Super Start Batteries? Their website states that their battery # 416017 has:

• 12 volt

• 14 amp

280 CCA

• (5 15/16"L x 5 11/16"H x 3 1⁄2"W)

http://www.spykeinc.com/

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
My bike sat all winter without a battery tender. Alarm goes into sleep mode after a while. I had no issues firing the bike up after sitting for the extended period of time

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
I had the same problem with the bike not holding a charge much past 7-10 days. Many people on the site had the same problem. Most everyone put a battery tender on to solve the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My bike has never lasted more than a month. Not since the day I bought it. I had two batteries for a while then the one I bought died. Got the battery tender on it now but it really peves me that I have to buy another item to keep my bike in running condition. I have a Honda 750 thing sat for a year and fired right up.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Yes, battery tender is always on in my ride.

·
Registered
156 Posts
the alarm is motion activated. so not sure about the area you live in but with my bike ive seen it go off with a car or truck rolling by. if it goes off without your knowledge this can run that battery down in a couple days. I dont turn my alarm on when its in my garage, but if I did I would use a battery tender. if the battery sits more than 1-2 months with no drain on it, then it should be charged up. which is another reason to use a tender. if you go buy one, dont go to a HD Dealer go buy the same thing without the hd-logo from just about anywhere for 29.99

a battery tender jr. part number is 021-0123

·
Registered
156 Posts
Crelone said:
My bike has never lasted more than a month. Not since the day I bought it. I had two batteries for a while then the one I bought died. Got the battery tender on it now but it really peves me that I have to buy another item to keep my bike in running condition. I have a Honda 750 thing sat for a year and fired right up.
this bike isnt a honda 750 with virtualy no electronics what so ever. many new vehicles have stuff that constently runs on them. my mother owns a 06 BMW z4 and she cannot let the car sit more than 2 weeks with out driving it or the battery will go dead. my bike is in my garage when I dont ride so I dont use the alarm. I have had the bike sit 1 month and still had more than enough power to fire it up. but if I run the alarm then I cannot go more than 1-2 weeks. these electronics require power constently, and you have a finite amout of power to draw from. not to mention that battery in this bike is just barely big enough for the job at hand. so I really dont think its all that unreasonable to have to maintain the charge on the battery.

·
KenH
6 Posts
It is unthinkable that a $20K bike won't hold a charge for more than 1-2 weeks. Alarm or no alarm. Battery tender - give me a break... I am on my second battery now too - same issue. My previous bike - ZX1100 Kawasaki Ninja had the same battery for 7 years - yessss 7. Oops, no alarm but heh - that's a well engineered bike. This battery thing is too much for the $ paid for this American beast - well, at least I am not alone I guess. Ken

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Regardless of what your opinon is regarding the bike's engineering, the Battery Tender will more than pay for itself by extending the life of your batteries, V-Rod or other makes and models. If the bike is parked for any length of time it's a good habit to get into, especially when storing the bike for the winter etc. Up here where we have 10 months of winter and 2 months of not bad bobsledding, as soon as I pull the bikes into the garage they get hooked up.These bikes tend to run way better with a fully charged battery. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
staticfiend said:
About 2 months ago I replaced my battery. Its a 03 and figured it must have been old and got a new battery. Well my bike had been sitting for about 3 weeks and yesterday I go to get on and ride and the battery is dead. :banghead: Now I think this just cant be coincidence. Could the alarm be draining the battery? Its the only thing I can think of. Cause the key light flashes when its set. Any ideas?
Batteries need to be topped up on a trickle charger before they are installed, have you also checked the electrical system, check the charge rates idle and underload and all connections.

I have had bikes (alarmed) sit for months and usually start no problem.

Batteries also do not do well if it has been cool.

And some times you do get a dude have you done a load test on the battery?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts