Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened last night!Went to start her up for a friend and the Battery was dead!:mad: Need to get a Battery tender.Anyone have one?What model?how Much?How was install?:cool:

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Hey Kaz,

I just got the Battery Tender Jr. for Christmas. It comes with the battery harness so it makes it easy to access once installed.

I simply connected the harness to the battery and then ran the connecting wire through the area under the side panel and down the front part of the frame. I ran it on the left side so I could hide it in the wires that already run in that area.

The connection is now easy to get at it and it's hidden.

I've only used it once however it worked excellent. The light on the power pack stays red until the battery is charged, at which point it turns green. You can leave it plugged in as long as you want though cuz the tender will not overcharge the battery.

My was almost completely dead (bike would turn over but the battery didn't have enough juice to start it) and it took about 6 hours to charge (until the light turned green).

I don't know how much they are in the States, however they are about $80 up here. Good investment in my mind.

Hope this helps.
Craig

·
Registered
85 Posts
Kaz,

I picked up a Battery Tender Jr from my dealer for less than $40, (X-mas discount) the Plus was about $60. I've seen the Jr cheaper ($30 @ www.ridegear.com, for one), but I didn't want to wait.

I can't speak to the install on the V-Rod; the dealer installs the quick disconnect lead on every new bike now. I am going to use the one included in the kit for my Road King, since it doesn't get much road time any more. I was told it is as simple as fehrc describes above.

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts

Attachments

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I got the tender that tbag has.
Works great, came with the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
I picked up a jr from arizona motorsports on E-bay for 19.99 thru yahoo auctions. came with the battery harness and clips both.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wound up getting the Battery Tender Plus $59.95 at Cycle Gear!:(

·
Registered
974 Posts
Battery Tender Jr. at Dennis Kirk
31.58 including shipping (using a price match from somewhere- I bought it a year ago)
BobT

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I use one that was given to me from a buddys diesel.It's called an Ever Start.Seen um at Auto-Zone.I just hook up at the starter solenoid down by the radiator.I use it for alot of equiptment. Oh yea it's only 1.5 amps.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Ted
1,631 Posts
I use the jr and have never had a battery problem. I also replaced the 3 amp harness with a 15 amp harness to run heated gloves. Works great but blew a fuse the other day.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have had the jr on 3 bikes. A short battery pigtail is installed, then a quick disconnect is used that plugs into the wall. If you read the literature it says that a battery that is maintained everyday using the BT will extend the life of the battery by a factor of 2. Meaning the battery will last 2x as long as a battery that isn;t on the BT everynight. They explain that the BT charges the battery to 14.8 v and that process of getting it back up to that level keeps the plates clean and willing to accept a full charge.

Had a 5yo battery on my Valk
Had a 4yo battery on a smaller VLX
have a 2yo battery in the Vrod

None of then ever failed while using the BT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts