Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I wanted to replace my 2014 vrod night rod special battery, so removed the breather kit, air filter etc but when I removed negative battery terminal the bolt fell through front oil breather hole. Pic attached

How do I remove the bolt from the hole ? Is this serious ?

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
sam.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to 1130cc.

Here:

Hi Knut J. Thanks for the support and I'm really relieved now as I'm not the only one to experience this...

Can I remove the alternate cover myself ? I'm fairly new to mechanics..

Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hi Knut J. Thanks for the support and I'm really relieved now as I'm not the only one to experience this...

Can I remove the alternate cover myself ? I'm fairly new to mechanics..

Thanks, Sam
Yes, you are not the first! I have heard of a few doing this but fortunately all retrieved by the method posted by Knut
Removing alternator cover is pretty straight forward. Google "V Rod stator wire leak" You will find numerous "how to" videos on this. Be careful with your fingers with the magnet!

·
VRSC est -03
2,582 Posts
Yes you can remove the cover. Drain some of the engine oil first. Keep in mind that strong magnetism is present behind the cover, the use of 2x 6mm screws (saw of the head of the bolts) is highly recommended when installing the cover! The cover will snap out of your fingers. Would also recommend a genuine HD shop manual, a good investment and the use of torque wrench...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you can remove the cover. Drain some of the engine oil first. Keep in mind that strong magnetism is present behind the cover, the use of 2x 6mm screws (saw of the head of the bolts) is highly recommended when installing the cover! The cover will snap out of your fingers. Would also recommend a genuine HD shop manual, a good investment and the use of torque wrench...
Thanks a lot both Knut J and Coastrider. I was really stressed out...

Just to confirm, the bolt can't go anywhere else from the hole right ? i.e I should see them behind alternate cover.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thanks a lot both Knut J and Coastrider. I was really stressed out...

Just to confirm, the bolt can't go anywhere else from the hole right ? i.e I should see them behind alternate cover.

Thanks.
All the ones I have heard of, the bolt was there. It doesn't really have anywhere else to go, so if you don't see it straight away keep looking, around the chains, on the rotor etc.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Here is the bolt tightening sequence for the cover and the torque setting.
As Knut said get yourself a genuine HD service manual. It will pay for itself over and over again.
Alternator bolt sequence.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Manual:

Couple of questions before I start removing alternator cover,

Can I move my motorbike to neighbours next door as they have a better setup like tools etc? would this cause any damage to alternator chain etc..

How do I compensate for oil spillage during alternator cover remove ? Can i reuse them for topup ? I guess this is coolant rather engine oil.

Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Personally I wouldn't move it. You won't need many tools. Allen wrench and wrench for drain plug. It is oil that will drain out, not coolant. Take the oil drain plug out and drain a couple quarts. If you HAVE to reuse the oil you can, but...... you could just go grab a couple quarts and top it up when you are done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personally I wouldn't move it. You won't need many tools. Allen wrench and wrench for drain plug. It is oil that will drain out, not coolant. Take the oil drain plug out and drain a couple quarts. If you HAVE to reuse the oil you can, but...... you could just go grab a couple quarts and top it up when you are done.
Thanks Moler.

You mean, I should fully drain off engine oil through bottom drain plug before removing the alternator cover ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi Knutj,
for 6mm headless screws, this would work right ?

·
Registered
454 Posts
You don't have to drain it completely, but it would be a good chance to change the oil if its due.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts