Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching the forums and have read quite a lot about batteries. The one thing I have not seen is if anyone has replaced their battery with a Lithium-Ion type battery and how that has that worked out. I have seen that they are lighter and more powerful, but also more expensive. Any thoughts brothers(and sisters).

· Registered
2,406 Posts
I have been researching the forums and have read quite a lot about batteries. The one thing I have not seen is if anyone has replaced their battery with a Lithium-Ion type battery and how that has that worked out. I have seen that they are lighter and more powerful, but also more expensive. Any thoughts brothers(and sisters).
Search "anti-gravity" and "ballistic"
You will find plenty of reading.

· "Vrod King"
959 Posts
Yeah, I used to run them before but after the magic smoke excaped from one of them and seeing a Lithium-ion battery catch fire at work one night, I switched back. The weight savings were not worth it for me.

· Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I recommend the Earth X Lithium Iron Phosphate LIFePO4 with the built in Battery Management System that protects from over charge, over discharge, short circuit, excessive cranking and individual cell balancing. Very Safe. Up to 8 year 4000 charge cycles life - I'm halfway there with absolutely no problems. Saved 9 lbs. at the steering head so it's the cheapest per pound weight drop you'll ever get on a V Rod ( unless you run it outta gas ) - (y) :LOL: No need to battery tender in the off season just disconnect it - holds it's charge for a year. I installed the ETX24C which is the upgrade battery for the V Rod 420 PCAmps & 270 CCAmps, Engineered & Made in the USA - I'll never go back to a heavy ass stupid open or sealed lead acid battery after owning this one. I got a Shorai in my Triumph ( a bit cheaper ) and it works fine but doesn't have the Earth X BMS so it's not as advanced. Sorry Mr. Triumph but the R Model V Rod gets the best - and well worth the money - the engine starts so fast I worry about the starter disengaging (y):cool:

· HAS_VROD
25 Posts
I bought a generic (unknown brand) off Amazon for my 2006 V-Rod Screaming Eagle perhaps 2 years ago and it is working great. I also have generic lithium batteries in my 1996 Yamaha Virago XV1100 and my 2012 Suzuki Bergman 400 scooter (bought it with the battery in perhaps 4 years ago).

I live in Arizona which is tough on batteries…and haven’t had an issue with either of the 3. And, I did not do this for weight reduction….just that I was tied of replacing the battery in the V-Rod and Virago every 2-3 years. And, I even stopped using a trickle charger during longer downtime.

Now, I am looking for a lithium for my Mercedes SL600 (V-12) as that is only used periodically and the battery gets weak after 2 years or so.

· Registered
23 Posts
I bought a lithium battery and within one year it developed a bulge and died. Very expensive mistake. I went back to the OEM battery and a HD charger/tender. Happy I did. Go with the OEM battery. That is my hard lesson learned. Good luck otherwise.

· Registered
VRSCA 2003 100 Years Anniversary, Gold Key set / VRSCF Muscle 2017 Red Sunglo flamed flamed
1 Posts
Search "anti-gravity" and "ballistic"
You will find plenty of reading.
Hallo, i have installed LFP-Power batteries on my 2 bikes, VRSCA 2003 and VRSCF 2017 and im very happy about it.
its now since 01/2020 and everything works fine.We have a small LFP company here in HK and they have custom made
the batteries for my bikes. The second batterie had some problem after 3 month, 1 cell died, and they replaced it foc.
No more need to charge batteries, because the muscle is just in storage and i checked more or less regular after 3 month or so , and the batteries keep the power since more than a year now.

· MochaTrpl
122 Posts
Excess heat is just as bad for batteries as excess cold.
What can you expect from excessive heat? I was in a motorcycle funeral detail yesterday where the formation was at about 10 mph and had a power failure. It was about 90 degrees outside. Never had a problem with my lithium battery up to now. Turn key and no power. Battery has a boost built in an the bike fires up only for about 20 seconds then shuts off. Thinking the battery is fried but shouldn’t the bike run off its own power?

· Bad ride inside
522 Posts
thought i would add to this oldie... My Shorai just vented a gas cloud in my garage and got too hot to touch... I use Shorai's digital charger this is the second battery from them that has had catastrophic failure. hmmmm

· VRSC est -03
3,661 Posts
thought i would add to this oldie... My Shorai just vented a gas cloud in my garage and got too hot to touch... I use Shorai's digital charger this is the second battery from them that has had catastrophic failure. hmmmm
You make me nervous, my dx has Shorai for several years without any faults, maybe time to change brand...

· Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I recommend the Earth X Lithium Iron Phosphate LIFePO4 with the built in Battery Management System that protects from over charge, over discharge, short circuit, excessive cranking and individual cell balancing. Very Safe. Up to 8 year 4000 charge cycles life - I'm halfway there with absolutely no problems. Saved 9 lbs. at the steering head so it's the cheapest per pound weight drop you'll ever get on a V Rod ( unless you run it outta gas ) - (y) :LOL: No need to battery tender in the off season just disconnect it - holds it's charge for a year. I installed the ETX24C which is the upgrade battery for the V Rod 420 PC Amps & 270 CCAmps, Engineered & Made in the USA - I'll never go back to a heavy ass stupid open or sealed lead acid battery after owning this one. I got a Shorai in my Triumph ( a bit cheaper ) and it works fine but doesn't have the Earth X BMS so it's not as advanced. Sorry Mr. Triumph but the R Model V Rod gets the best - and well worth the money - the engine starts so fast I worry about the starter disengaging (y):cool:
Not to be redundant and annoying but to be redundant and hopefully not annoying I copied the above. I have only heard of problems with the Shorai, not the Earth X. I have the Shorai on my Triumph and do NOT recommend leaving it ( or an Earth X ) on a trickle charger. A better plan is if bike is in winter storage remove the damn thing, take it in the house, keep it warm, only charge it when voltage drops below the level for a recharge, re-install it in the spring after a full top off and don't worry about it - constant trickle charging is unnecessary and damaging. I charge mine up before I ride it, since no off season in FL ( except a bit of the summer ) and have had no problems. Lead Acid open or sealed is a different story, as LIFePO4 is a different animal. Don't apply Lead acid lessons learned to a LIFePO4 battery, that's a guaranteed failure. Just sayin' (y):cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.