Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

41 - 60 of 228 Posts

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
$4000!!!! the choice is obvious to me....I already have the Mem Shades quick release system so I'm half way there - I figure a batwing and windshield about another $300.00 or so.

Danni you have had your's on for a long time - any stability problem
at higher speeds and does it block a lot more of the wind or not?

Please advise and Thanks to all!
Tom
OK, here is the thing. The mount I made on the Kenday puts the fairing where it is, about as far back as one could locate it. Without the quick release I might have been able to move it back a bit further. The theory is that it should be as far behind the aerodynamic center as possible.

It is exactly aligned with my reduced reach handlebars so that no wind (excepting some errant bug parts) seems to get by.

I have a solid front (and rear) wheel.

All that being said, I did notice some clear air instability at about 115 mph a while back. Nothing scary,but some oscillations, quickly dampened by slowing down a bit. My fall away was pretty sloppy, and I've tightened it up. I do get a little wind movement when following a semi. Tankers seem to be the worst. It's nothing that even excites me, and I just ride it out, but I suspect some new riders might be a bit off-put. I can't tell you if it's a fairing or solid wheel issue. Those who have reported "wind wobble" (I hate that term) have almost always claimed that the $3000 open wheel upgrade solved the problem. Who am I to argue.

I suspect the RoadGlide mod is less susceptible to this phenomena, if it is fairing induced. But I can say that I've done several 12 hour rides and its far better than any of the (3) windshields I tried (one I made).

It is reported that saddebags can upset the aerodynamics on a sportbike. I don't doubt that my extended tail structure is an optimum aerodynamic model either.

·
The Crusades
772 Posts
Danni thanks for the info...I do not do triple digit speeds - so I'm ok there. The guys I ride with have FLH S/E's and rarely are above 80mph

I have spoked front wheel and a 240 rear!!! So I do not know how that will work with a fairing. With my large MemShades w/s it is stable - but I would like to use a BatWing for the long trips.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Danni thanks for the info...I do not do triple digit speeds - so I'm ok there. The guys I ride with have FLH S/E's and rarely are above 80mph

I have spoked front wheel and a 240 rear!!! So I do not know how that will work with a fairing. With my large MemShades w/s it is stable - but I would like to use a BatWing for the long trips.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again
Be sure to post pics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently mounted my Memphis Shades Fairing from my old Vstar to my Vrod. It has the triggerlock system, modified fork clamps and brackets to make it fit. In my opinion anything over 50mph without wind protection is for suckers.

Attachments

·
The Crusades
772 Posts
I recently mounted my Memphis Shades Fairing from my old Vstar to my Vrod. It has the triggerlock system, modified fork clamps and brackets to make it fit. In my opinion anything over 50mph without wind protection is for suckers.

Screamin:
Look's great to me!!! That's what I want to do with my V. I already have the trigger lock/windshield I thought the batwing would bolt up to the trigger lock system. Is that correct???

BTW what Exhaust are you running - looks good!
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know if the windshield brackets are the same as the fairing brackets. the fairing is held to the brackets by 4 bolts. the brackets have the trigger lock which then mounts to the fork clamps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know if the windsheild brackets are the same as the fairing brackets. The fork clamps may be different as well. I haven't seen the hardware for a windshield. The exhaust is a D&D Fatcat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ChiefClifton; I like that fairing...I have Memphis Shades's plates with a "fats" windshield. Now you have me thinking of doing the
batwing as well.

How is the batwing at 70-80mph - any wobble or issues with stability

Thanks

Tom
Sorry for the delay in writing, but hadn't been on the forum in a few days. As for the wobble, the only time I experienced wobble that was bad enough to slow me down was when I first put it on and was riding I-10 east of Tucson, AZ in an area with several waddies and caught some crosswinds. I dropped from 75 down to 65 until I got through them and then picked it back up. I also think that part of that was also the fact that I was not used to having the fairing and how it felt on the bike at highway speeds. I absolutely love it now that I am used to it. Although I still need to check my fall away because it just feels a little loose (just hadn't had the time lately to check it). I think you will be really happy with the batwing once you get it on the bike. I have to tell you that it is great to be able to ride in temps over 100 and not feel like I am standing behind a jet engine.

h2oV, that is one AWESOME looking bike. I really like how you streamlined the fairing to the bike. Very creative bike.

·
The Crusades
772 Posts
Sorry for the delay in writing, but hadn't been on the forum in a few days. As for the wobble, the only time I experienced wobble that was bad enough to slow me down was when I first put it on and was riding I-10 east of Tucson, AZ in an area with several waddies and caught some crosswinds. I dropped from 75 down to 65 until I got through them and then picked it back up. I also think that part of that was also the fact that I was not used to having the fairing and how it felt on the bike at highway speeds. I absolutely love it now that I am used to it. Although I still need to check my fall away because it just feels a little loose (just hadn't had the time lately to check it). I think you will be really happy with the batwing once you get it on the bike. I have to tell you that it is great to be able to ride in temps over 100 and not feel like I am standing behind a jet engine.

h2oV, that is one AWESOME looking bike. I really like how you streamlined the fairing to the bike. Very creative bike.
Chiefclifton;

Does the batwing just bolt up to the trigger locks??

My fall away will be checked at the dealer as I am still under warranty and my front brake rotors will be replaced as well.

We are getting ready for a 1000k tour thru the midwest and I'd like to get the batwing on prior to our departure in mid-August. I also am putting on a small tour pack along with a solo back-rest - gonna have some stuff "fabbed up" and see how it goes.

I'll post some pics when we are done

Thanks again

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
The trigger lock mounting kit bolts to the fairing just like a Memphis Shades windshield. Overall, it only took me about 10-15 minutes to get it all assembled and on the bike (including putting together the windshield, trim and Tri-pouch). Very easy setup. I also love the fact that I can just remove the entire system in a matter of minutes when I want to run the bike without it and then slap it back on when I do. I haven't went with a tour pack yet, but have thought about it a few times. I am going to check my fall away myself using the instructions in the forum. It should have been checked with the bike had its 10,000 mile service, but I want to check it myself.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Rod, The difference between the RG and eGlide fairing is huge. A solidly mounted fairing never shakes, never wobbles. Mechanically, and aerodynamically, a far superior design. Yes, it costs more, but is well worth the effort. THe simple solution is to buy 2! Joe

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
This head on pic was taken last week in Santa Fe, as I was heading out into rain all the way back to Albuquerque.

·
The Crusades
772 Posts
[QU0TE=CPTJAM;1983209]Rod, The difference between the RG and eGlide fairing is huge. A solidly mounted fairing never shakes, never wobbles. Mechanically, and aerodynamically, a far superior design. Yes, it costs more, but is well worth the effort. THe simple solution is to buy 2! Joe[/QUOTE]

Joe;

Two bikes would be the way to go....but one of them would be a V Rod bobber! and the other, would be with some kinda fairing on it, But doggone Danni's pic looks good with that bat wing on it.

Thank you for the input!

Tom

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Mine is a Kenday. Had to make my own mounts. V-Mod has a Memphis Shades Batwing that I believe includes the brackets.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I'm new to 1130cc.com in September 2010. Great fourm. Here is a picture of my 2006 Night Rod Bagger that I just purchased.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I read that 3-Olive was getting new wheels, and made an offer for her old ones, which she accepted. Tyson was doing the work, so I had him , after pulling the bearings, ship them to Willy Shiney in Calif ([email protected]) for chroming. They were delivered a while later and are incredible. I had to take the "V-Ultra" in anyway, as I managed to break it in Kansas City, for the third time in a row :spank:. This time I had it on a trailer! Seems that the high pressure nipple out of the fuel tank was apparently slightly cracked, until I messed with it, and made it really (an incredible fan of gasoline) leak.
So they installed a new tank flange, and the new wheels. Sure is purdy.

The bullet hole decal was earned on the previous trip to Kansas City:

Of course, I'm biased.

83,000 miles on the bike.

41 - 60 of 228 Posts