Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 228 Posts

·
Coqui0405
41 Posts
Glad to admit that I have finally seen someone do some mods for serious traveling. Folks alwyas think that just because you own a V-Rod all you want to do is go fast. Nothing is further from the truth. Although having the get up and go when needed is awesome....
Excellant looking and I imagine functional bike...

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I believe you have given us a sample of 2011 V-Glide. Remember you heard it hear 1st!

·
Registered
661 Posts
my 2010 Muscle - Glide

Hey guys, Here's the muscle that replaced my 06 A (above). It was a challenge putting an old FLH headlight cowl and detachable fairing on it. Tooks some pics today. I had a Nice ride eventough it was windy and cooler this morning, I felt the fairing did a great job protecting my face, chest and esp. my hands!:)
-
BTW, I did not do any permanent changes on the muscle, when I did this mod. As I posted on another thread, The Cowl was from a 79 FLH, I did cut a huge piece off both the rear left and right sides to make it fit. The cowl is held on my the tightening the handlebar screws against the triple tree and I also used the stock headlight mount screws and 2 L brackets to secure it.
-
The Auxiliary lights comes off along with the fairing by loosening 4 nuts. The aux lights and headlight have quick disconnect wiring. I could prob put everything back to stock in 15 minutes or less if I need to. Although I'm very happy with this set up for now.:)
Rode today for about 40 miles, very windy near the shore. Wind stability is great from 65-80, & 85-95 is also stable tho I felt some mild front end wobble when I let off the throttle at around 90mph...Not sure if it's the crosswinds as it was very windy (ocean parkway near Jones beach, NY). I would say, One could cruise around comfortably all day with this thing On from 65-80mph.
Wind protection is great!:D

Link to the making-pics: http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/2010%20Vrod%20Muscle%20Glide/

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Excellent work, my friend. Looks like the headlight is a bit obscured. I had to go to an aftermarket one to solve that issue. The HD fairing bra might look nice as well.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Excellent work, my friend. Looks like the headlight is a bit obscured. I had to go to an aftermarket one to solve that issue. The HD fairing bra might look nice as well.
Thanks Daniii.
The headlight looks like a cat eye dont u think?...I had to lower the fairing a few inches to match the handlebars, otherwise I would've mounted it just like the old FLH. BTW, it lights up the road just fine, I kinda like the way the fairing acts like a visor.:)

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just Finished Mine

Ok, here is mine. Got the Memphis Shades Batwing painted to match the bike, leather bags, BUBs with sound reducing baffles and 30 tooth sprocket. Just finished it last night and absolutely loving it.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can you send me some infor on how you mounted the batwing? also, how you mounted the saddlebags. The OEM version is way out of my price range. Thanks, Great looking bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Paulmc, if you are talking about my bike, thank you. I got the fairing and mounting kit from VMOD. There are some posts in the forum on making your own mounting kits if you want to go that route. Going to the fairing was definitely a good choice over a windshield. As for the mounting kit and bags, I bought them from another member here in the forum. The bags are mounted with the HD mounting kit.

·
The Crusades
772 Posts
ChiefClifton; I like that fairing...I have Memphis Shades's plates with a "fats" windshield. Now you have me thinking of doing the
batwing as well.

How is the batwing at 70-80mph - any wobble or issues with stability

Thanks

Tom

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
I have a Road Glide and I think the RG fairing does better than the batwing fairing on the highway.
Oh Dan, Dan to the Road Rod Courtesy phone........
Good Luck with your choice though!!

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
I had E-glides for 30 years. I like the stability of the Road Glide better, but love the looks of the batwing. Function wins - I roadrod. Joe

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The batwing is cheaper.

By about $4000 when you are all through.

Your choice!

·
The Crusades
772 Posts
The batwing is cheaper.

By about $4000 when you are all through.

Your choice!

$4000!!!! the choice is obvious to me....I already have the Mem Shades quick release system so I'm half way there - I figure a batwing and windshield about another $300.00 or so.

Danni you have had your's on for a long time - any stability problem
at higher speeds and does it block a lot more of the wind or not?

Please advise and Thanks to all!
Tom

·
The Crusades
772 Posts
I had E-glides for 30 years. I like the stability of the Road Glide better, but love the looks of the batwing. Function wins - I roadrod. Joe
Joe

Thanks for the info I have been trying to figure out something that would not be as expensive as the Road Rod system.

Thirty years on E-glides and now your on a VRod Road Rod - How would you compare the two bikes??

Tom

21 - 40 of 228 Posts