Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a companion to the Road Rods thread, If you've got a Bat-wing V-Rod (Bat-Rod?) post pictures here.

Here's mine:

And here is Brent's and mine in Daytona.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Here's mine::)

_

_

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heading back from Colorado last Sunday.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey Knightenforcer, Where'd you get the trunk.
All your gear looks great; well done.
Thanks
Hi, sorry for the delayed response, just got back from 2 weeks vacation:). Anyway, it's an Axio tailbag. It works better with the HD one-piece luggage rack and mini backrest combo.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a Kenday fairing, and its about $4000 cheaper than the Cyclevision route. I really like the outcome. Aerodynamics are finally solved. No updraft (at last). Using the HD bra ($80), I didn't have to paint it.

I have settled on the short windshield. The taller one just isn't tall enough to block air from my face, and I wear a full face these days in any case.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49044&highlight=fairing

Today's pics:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Heading back from Colorado last Sunday.
Neat! But wait...is that a little skin I see above the boot? Believe I'd be wearing some chaps for protection....:ride:

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell me about it. We were wearing rain gear about 20 minutes before. I had armored riding pants rolled up on the opposite side in this shot. It was a bit warm (close to 90F) and the humidity was 100%.

Today, however, I wouldn't hesitate to pull out the pants. (we live and learn)

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what kind of fairings are you using and where do you get the mounts?
See post #8. I made brackets that attach to HD windshield mounts, as have others. It was pretty easy. Here is how it looks with the "F" bags mounted to the old bag mounts.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Dan.... Does the wing have any high speed wobble issues like the windshields do?

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dan.... Does the wing have any high speed wobble issues like the windshields do?
Tough question. Since I haven't experienced high speed wobble with any configurations (I have tried several windshields - see exception below) I can't say it solves them. What I can say is that it real stable in crosswings, at least on my configuration, and when passing trucks.

Exception: For a while, I saw some "instability" at high speed (>115 mph) with the bat wing. I discovered my fall away was incredibly loose. After tightening the neck bearings, the instability has disappeared. I also suspect that the relatively heavy rumble road speakers I have attached to the ends of the bat wing likely dampen any tendencies for unsteadiness.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The tourpak is a harley roadking TourPak (I suggest Hales, $500 delivered). If you carry much, you need to support the tourpack at the rear, as it hangs over the HD luggage rack quite a bit, and frankly, the rack is not up to the task. If you have HD saddlebags, the wraparound support bar is strong enough.

The lowers are Hoggchopps. (http://www.hoggchopps.com/). I ordered them without cutouts and did the notching for the engine guards with a dremel. He had the louvers, and sent them along for me to evaluate, but I had seen them on the 'net, but don't have the link.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Keeping the thread alive...
Here's a few new pics, I decided to put the shorter windscreen for this spring/ summer.:)

-

-

-

-

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It sure looks cleaner with the short windscreen.

Still waiting to see a full size batwing mounted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Knightenforcer - Is that the "shorter windscreen" in the pics? I like it. Is it a "Corbin fairing? where could i find one like that?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Knightenforcer - Is that the "shorter windscreen" in the pics? I like it. Is it a "Corbin fairing? where could i find one like that?
Yes, it came with the corbin fairing. BTW, any short or full size windshield/ screen made for the 96-later electraglide(FLHT) will fit the corbin. I saw a lot of them on ebay, it's cheaper too.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts