Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bat Outta Hell

Last night I was riding clackamas river drive in carver oregon about 4 in the morning, there were bats everywhere, then I see something come from the side and smack the bike just to the side of my right front turn signal and get tangled up in my throttle cables, I thought it was a butterfly but it made a bone breaking crack. it hung itself upside down between the cables like it was sleeping. I'll post the pictures as soon as they're emailed to me. anybody else have any run ins with bats?

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
Bats? I bet they would hurt hitting a face at 60 + .

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
A small bird hit my left shoulder front on at 100km/hr once and pretty much exploded. Couple feathers and a bit of g o r e stuck there until I pulled into a servo and cleaned it off. Little hole in the leather from the beak too. I would have thought the impact should be worse, but birds, and bats, are very light. Not much mass to them I guess.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I had a bird hit my leg one time at just over 100mph, he hit me square in the leg just below the knee. Felt like I got hit by a baseball and the poor bird just exploded all over me and the bike.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Over Memorial Day my buddy took one to the forehead about 0430 in the AM. good thing bats are light, said it hurt like the dickens. Told him he's always been kinda batty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah they were all over the place a couple came dangerously close to my face. i was only going about 40-50 so the bat stayed in one piece but the impact killed it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
pdxdx07 said:
yeah they were all over the place a couple came dangerously close to my face. i was only going about 40-50 so the bat stayed in one piece but the impact killed it.

:D Batman will be pissed............

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha I'm not looking forward to telling him, the bat is still stuck between my throttle cables. It'll get a proper burial tonight.

·
I know,I know..apes?
506 Posts
I've had one land on my shoulder/chest when I was going slowly through a neighborhood around dusk. I just freaked out, grabbed it and threw it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A few months ago I was cruising the N. GA. mtns and passed a large field with a quail hunt in progress. I went about a thousand yards past the hunting lodge driveway and got ambushed by a covey that was hiding along the roadside. One flew across me and got tagged by my helmet...explosion of feathers and a large green mess of crap all down my jacket sleeve. I turned around, picked the deqd bird up and delivered it to several hunters in the driveway of the lodge in exchange for a towel to clean off my jacket sleeve. I laughed all the way down the driveway at the look the hunters had on their faces when I rode up with a quail in my lap and bird crap all over me. No expensive dogs/over-under needed!!!

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I almost went down once trying to dodge a duck, it took off right in front of me and if it would have taken a :stac: it would have been right in my face, it was probably 2 feet infront of me. I ducked the duck and applied too much brake while swerving and just about went down.

·
Ist mir scheiss egal
496 Posts
The quail here in Reno are scary! I've never seen birds with a death wish like these things. For those who don't know our quail, they rarely fly. They run everywhere unless you really scare them, then they fly. Anyways, they'll sit on the side of the road, in a pose like their getting ready to start a race. It never fails that when you're 10' away from them, they dart out in front of you!

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
:worthless

Someone had to do it...

Now haw can an animal that hunts and catches moskitos out orf the air using freakin sonar, not detect a man on a motorcycle...?

·
Registered
553 Posts
pdxdx07 said:
Last night I was riding clackamas river drive in carver oregon about 4 in the morning, there were bats everywhere, then I see something come from the side and smack the bike just to the side of my right front turn signal and get tangled up in my throttle cables, I thought it was a butterfly but it made a bone breaking crack. it hung itself upside down between the cables like it was sleeping. I'll post the pictures as soon as they're emailed to me. anybody else have any run ins with bats?
Also in Portland area that is one of my favorite rides and I've seen tons of 'em but never had a run in with one yet... Love to see that picture by the way...

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
Over here on Kauai it is the chicken you have to watch for, they are all over the place, millions of them. I hit one while going through a hard right hand corner once, fortunately I was only going about 35 and it hit the right grip and mirror, pushed the mirror straight back and lots of feathers in the air.

Mike

·
Extreme Rod
257 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
:worthless

Someone had to do it...

Now haw can an animal that hunts and catches moskitos out orf the air using freakin sonar, not detect a man on a motorcycle...?

The Bat’s sonar was probably not tuned right and he thought there was a Honda coming and therefore he plenty of time.

:angeldev:

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
A friend of mine was hit in the chest by a sparrow. Good thing it hit him going east/west not north/south, would have probably penitated. It almost took him off the bike. We had to pull over so he could catch his breath. Scary stuff...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts