Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a set of B1 slipons on the F and I'm about to take it in for tuning. I want to make sure that everything on the bike is the way it will stay before I take it in. I'd like to remove the baffles before then just to see if I like the sound any better vs. with them in. I see the two hex bolts and I've removed them, but the baffles still felt solid. Any solutions, or do I just need to grab them with a wrench and yank!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got a set of B1 slipons on the F and I'm about to take it in for tuning. I want to make sure that everything on the bike is the way it will stay before I take it in. I'd like to remove the baffles before then just to see if I like the sound any better vs. with them in. I see the two hex bolts and I've removed them, but the baffles still felt solid. Any solutions, or do I just need to grab them with a wrench and yank!
I am wondering the same thing. I know that this system was supposed to come with removable baffles but I cant tell where they are, how to remove them, or even they are indeed even really there! If you figure it out then let me know. Also, some pics would really help.

Thanks.

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
If they are like the 2into1 one bolt holds the end cap the inner one the baffle on mine there is a piece a Ross the hole on the baffle I locked some vise grips on that and took a crescent wrench and put on that then twisted back and forth while pulling and it came out be careful putting back in tight fit don't bend up where the two meet at the inner most part of the baffle

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my first attempt was a failure. I'm at the mercy of apartment living and being separated from most of my tools. I got the end caps off pretty easily, but I literally snapped a set of pliers trying to twist the baffle out. It didn't budge at all. I'll have to try again, but with bigger pliers.

·
The Rookie
12 Posts
Try some carburator cleaner, spray it in there pretty good and let it soak and then start to pulling it out. I had the two in one and thats what i had to do to get mine out. I said the same thing... That succa is really on there. I even rode it without the screws to try and loosen it up, but I dont know if that would be a good idea if you planning on keeping them. The baffles that is. I didnt care too much about it so if it would have fell out when i was riding aww well!! the last thing i did was the cleaner and it worked for me. Sounds like a beast!

·
FFFWD
765 Posts
I removed mine when I first got the pipes to exchange them for 2" baffles (stock is 2 1/2", 2" are a little quieter). Kurt at Bassani told me they have a special tool that's basically just a hook that grabs the bar at the end of the baffle. I used some pliers. One of mine came out easily and the other was a bitch. I placed the trouble pipe upright on carpet and put the handle end of a rubber mallet down the skinny end of the pipe at an angle and hammered the rubber mallet to loosen the baffle. Sounds like carb cleaner would've helped too. I put some copper anti-seize on my replacement baffles before putting them in.

BTW, Kurt told me that you can easily experiment with the tone and loudness by slicing the tape that's wrapped spirally around the fiberglass to let it expand, which will make your pipes louder. He said if you don't like it to just re-wrap tape where it was.

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
they are just a tight fit carb cleaner may help but doubt it I pulled mine before really had anytime to get build up to see how well they packed them they're just a bitch

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally knocked it out this morning. I went to Home Depot and grabbed a 1 1/8" x 48" wooden dowel. I unscrewed the two bolts, removed the end cap, and put the dowel in the small end of the pipe and tapped it on the ground to coax the baffle out. It was pretty simple and extremely effective. I said screw the packing all together and cut the tape and threw away all the fiberglass. I decided to put the metal baffle back and I have to say, I like the sound. If there was one word to describe it, I would say it sounds more "raw". I'm going to try to get some sounds of it soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts