Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I bit the hook and bought the basket case 2009 VRSCAW listed in the classified section. Got it home a couple of weeks ago and started going through everything to see what new parts were needed and what was missing. The biggest issue so far is that Harley is not supporting the older bikes and no piston and ring kits are available for the 2002 motor in this bike. I was saved by Andy, Coastrider on this forum, and a new piston,rings sleeves kit is enroute from Spain, thanks again Andy. The bike is slowly going back together, replaced bad bearing in the rear sprocket, bearing in the swing arm, new fuel tank and used fuel tank innerds, new foot peg clevis for both sides, and lots of small parts. On the engine I replaced all the transmission parts with a complete 2004 setup I had on hand, purchased a new fuel pump as the old one was pretty heavily scored on the rotors, and put new valve seals on all 8 valves. I'll keep this thread updated as I go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
I was wondering who picked this one up.:coff: Thank you for keeping me from jumping on it.

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok guys, I'm planning ahead and looking at the ECM it appears to be the 2009 ecm, the part number is 32852-xx, can't read the last two numbers. This ecm is for a 1250 motor with O2 sensors. The engine I have is an 1130 2002 engine. I will have O2 sensor bungs on both head pipes and I'm planning on running the O2 sensors. I'm thinking I can get the TTS tuning system and change the base engine size to fit the 1130 engine then tune from there. Anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions on an easier way to do it?

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Ok guys, I'm planning ahead and looking at the ECM it appears to be the 2009 ecm, the part number is 32852-xx, can't read the last two numbers. This ecm is for a 1250 motor with O2 sensors. The engine I have is an 1130 2002 engine. I will have O2 sensor bungs on both head pipes and I'm planning on running the O2 sensors. I'm thinking I can get the TTS tuning system and change the base engine size to fit the 1130 engine then tune from there. Anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions on an easier way to do it?

You will be further ahead with PV then TTS. The MT7 cals TTS has for v rods leave a lot to be desired. It would be killer with MT8 cals but no such luck and all we get is promises but no delivery on the MT8 for v rods.
Ron
Ron

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ron, that does look like a pretty good system. I had one of their old basic systems back in 2005 when I got my first V Rod and it worked well. I do like the ability to tune without using a computer.

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a few parts that seem to be hard to find. I need 1 exhaust flange and spilt ring for the stock V Rod exhaust (2"). Also need a stock front fender bracket and a front pulley cover. Let me know what you have and the cost.

Mike

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scratch the exhaust flange and split ring, the local dealer was able to order it for me.

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
Why are you going with the 1130 instead of a 1250?

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why are you going with the 1130 instead of a 1250?
That's what I got with the bike, if it was cheaper to have the case bored I would make it a 1250 for sure. Got the stock exhaust V Modded a couple days ago getting the controls all set up, waiting on one more piston/rings/sleeve to arrive. Intake cams are enroute and should arrive today. Lots of stuff missing but it's coming together.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Making progress, the second piston/rings/sleeve came in this morning and I got pistons, rods, sleeves.bearings installed and the 2 halves put together and torqued. Got to go order more little missing parts, triple sprocket screw, output flange screws, t-stat connector tubes, etc. usually takes about a week for parts to come in. Going to put the heads on tomorrow.

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In case anyone else is looking for piston/ rings/ sleeve setups for the 1130 motor, the only ones commercially available are from the Harley vintage parts store and you have to go through a dealer to order. The 1130 part number is 22926-05ka and it is the piston and rings for the 2006-2007 1130 v rod. It has the 1.2 mm thick top ring instead of the 1 mm top ring used in the 2002 to 2005 1130 engines, but it works for the early engines. They had 85 copies when I ordered mine.

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the engine all buttoned up and shoehorned into the frame, swing arm on, rear wheel on. The dang rear brake line is a good 10" to long, OK from the rear master cylinder to the brake switch but way long from the switch to the rear caliper. Don't know how that worked before? Also got the radiator out of the box and took a look at that, looks like a piece of crap, the bottom is bent where it hit something and it obviously has at least one leak near the center.

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Question for you guys that have the 2009 and similar v rods, where does the starter solenoid bolt up at, the parts book shows it’s up by the battery, the 2003 was down on the left frame rail, I haven’t found anything that looks like the spot on this 2009 frame?

·
Noel
4,666 Posts
I'm not in the know either, but based on the graphic of the schematic/pictorial, It might be tucked into a rectangular panel somewhere up front, maybe below or above the radiator??????

Attachments

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After a more indepth look at the manual it seems it is supposed to clip onto the side of the cheezy plastic battery box. Jeeeeez Harley what were you thinking with that one?

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More progress today, got the battery installed, front and rear brakes bled, clutch bled, started to install the exhaust, stock swoopies Harley version. Found I have the 2002-2008 front header, third volume, and slip ons but the rear header is for a 2009 with the welded front header, won’t work on the older third volume, and I’m missing the header heat shields, so I ordered a Vance and Hines complete setup. Also need a horn and cover, a front fender bracket, and a front pulley cover, if anyone has anything let me know by pm or post here.

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More parts came in, specifically, the drive pulley bolts and the output flange screws, so got those put together and the belt put on. After the belt install I was able to check the front and rear pulley alignment and was not real happy with what I found. The front pulley was sitting 1/4" out from the rear pulley and they were not parallel with each other. Also, the engine mount on the right side was about half out of its bracket which allowed the swingarm to move slightly left to right, not good. So I added a 1/4" shim sleeve between the engine and the left side motor mount, put it all back together and it came out with everything spot on. The pulleys are perfectly parallel and perfectly spaced to each other. A straight edge placed along the front and rear pulley sits perfectly flat on both at the same time and the belt tracks right where it is supposed to. Plenty of belt clearance on the fuel tank as well. I'm very pleased with the setup and the swingarm is solid with no left to right wiggle at all. Waiting on radiator hoses to arrive and I can fire it up.

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well guys, she is ALIVE! Fired right up, only issue seems to be the idle is running at 2000 rpm so I’ll have to work on that, but everything else is good. Took a video but can’t seem to post it from my phone.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.