Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make my bike sound more like a Harley. I feel that it is crazy to spend 800 to 1000 dollars just, to make your bike sound louder. I know some of you may think this makes me cheap, but think about it.

Slip on mufflers for $ 589. The so called download is not a chip you buy. It is a software upload, that is used over and over at $150 a pop.It is my understanding that this is only good for the 2 SE pipes, vmod and the vance and hines pipe. I have quotes which vary from 1 to 3 hours labor. I would love to just put a few holes, in my baffle. Has anyone tried this.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Entman,
The software download is a 1 time deal.Once it gets downloaded to the bike the cartridge is no good anymore.You can get your mufflers v-modded at v-mod.com for $150.

·
Banned
924 Posts
I agree with most of what you say entman. The download is in my opinion a total rip-off when you consider what you get. The hardware cost is zero and the amount of time it takes to perform the download is about the cost you should be charged for it. It's really no different than downloading an mp3 to your computer. I believe there should be a cost for it but $150 is completly outrageous.

Consider this, you can buy a PC3R for just over $200 if you shop around, then downloads are free and can be updated at any time. The PC3R performs about the same thing as the download but allows the owner to do it yourself.

Harley should have given the option of owner installed updates. That would have removed the competing products (PC3R and race tuner products) and they would have made up the difference in volume of owner purchased and installed downloads. At say $39 I would have been more then happy to do it myself and would not have had extra hardware hanging off the side of the bike. Instead, Harley gets nothing and the people at Power Commander gets huge profets at $225 for a product that cost them less than $50 to manufacture. I believe HD offering owner installed downloads would have been the smarter move for Harley...

I remember taking my SUV in to get the fog light switch activated during one of the service intervals. They tried to charge $100 for that software download. I thought that was outrageous. When I complained they quickly adjusted it to no charge when I pointed out it took no extra time while the where already connected for the standard service call.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
My dealer wanted $150 for the cartridge and 1/2 hour labor to flash, $180 + tax. Hence, my use of the PC3, and the ability to use many maps or fine tune a map. The only thing I miss about the HD reflash is correction for my 28T pulley. They rip you off every chance they get....its no wonder HD is doing so well, making money by the truckloads. And then to top it off, they really don't give a sh** about the customer or customer service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to know more about PCIII and other options we have as vrod owners to upload different fuel injection programs. How difficult is it to perform. Is it worth the trouble to take the stock mufflers off and put the new SE16 on yourself ie will it take more than a hour? One dealer said they would only charge one hour labor which does not sound bad /

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
we also have a Member who can mod your pipes for Half that!I don't know how good they are but it might be worth checking out.I have 3 sets of mufflers and 1 full system if anyone is interested in any spares. :angeldev:

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
I put on my 16 guage exhaust myself, it'll take you about an hour or two, depending on how you do it. Options for ecm correction are either the HD cartridge reprogram, HD Race Tuner, PowerCommander 3, or a couple less used boxes like Techlusion, DFO. Really depends on what your long range plans are, if your going to put on the 16 guage and SE air filter and leave it at that, the cartridge isn't a bad choice. For a little more, you can have the PC3 with more tuning flexibility. For a couple hundred more, you can get the Race Tuner software. Oh, and the PC3 is very easy to work with.

·
Banned
924 Posts
entman said:
I would like to know more about PCIII and other options we have as vrod owners to upload different fuel injection programs. How difficult is it to perform.
It's very easy. plug in two connectors and it's installed. Plug in a 3rd connector from the PC3R to your computer and run the supplied software to download the map you want. Maps are available for all different types of pipes. Unplug the 3rd connector and you are done.

entman said:
Is it worth the trouble to take the stock mufflers off and put the new SE16 on yourself ie will it take more than a hour? One dealer said they would only charge one hour labor which does not sound bad /
For a first time user it may take a little more than an hour. An experanced person can do it in 30 minutes. It's manual labor to remover the old pipes, not rocket science... You can do it with min tools and a little WD40.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want great sounding stock pipes : read this, its easy

I did a simple modification today. Now my bike sounds great and it feels like it is performing better. Here is what I did. I marked out with a magic marker six spots to drill holes around the back of each pipe. I used a punch to mark the spots next and then drilled 6 holes in each of the mufflers. It actually looks like the pipes came this way. The sound is better than the screaming eagles which I had next to my bike to compare to. No problems with the fuel injection being messed up. If you want a deep rich sound this is the way to go. You do not need to change your air filter or download anything. I rode 88 miles today and had no problems. Total cost is zero.

Attachments

·
2,552 Posts
entman said:
I did a simple modification today. Now my bike sounds great and it feels like it is performing better. Here is what I did. I marked out with a magic marker six spots to drill holes around the back of each pipe. I used a punch to mark the spots next and then drilled 6 holes in each of the mufflers. It actually looks like the pipes came this way. The sound is better than the screaming eagles which I had next to my bike to compare to. No problems with the fuel injection being messed up. I will post a picture if someone can tell me how to attach it to my next post. If you want a deep rich sound this is the way to go. You do not need to change your air filter or download anything. I rode 88 miles today and had no problems. Total cost is zero.
entman,

Post some pics of your mod.

Frank

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Sounds like what I did with my old Kawasaki ;)

I have a set of stock pipes i am interested in doing something with... sounds like if this "E-Mod" doesnt work it still leaves the pipes intact for a traditional "V-Mod".

"traditional v-mod"!!! I made a funny!! I bet Steve gets a kick out of that.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery

Greg

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Entman, can you get us a sound byte?

·
VROOOOOMMM!!!
763 Posts
entman said:
I would like to make my bike sound more like a Harley. I feel that it is crazy to spend 800 to 1000 dollars just, to make your bike sound louder. I know some of you may think this makes me cheap, but think about it.

Slip on mufflers for $ 589. The so called download is not a chip you buy. It is a software upload, that is used over and over at $150 a pop.It is my understanding that this is only good for the 2 SE pipes, vmod and the vance and hines pipe. I have quotes which vary from 1 to 3 hours labor. I would love to just put a few holes, in my baffle. Has anyone tried this.
I pulled both mufflers, air hammered as many holes as I could get inside the inlet side of them and it made it sound better, but nowhere near as good as the supertrapp V5 I put on last night (even though it's really ugly), but NOW it sounds like a harley. oh, btw, I got the v5 on ebay for 369.00 including shipping. it was also new!!!

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
entman said:
I did a simple modification today. Now my bike sounds great and it feels like it is performing better. Here is what I did. I marked out with a magic marker six spots to drill holes around the back of each pipe. I used a punch to mark the spots next and then drilled 6 holes in each of the mufflers. It actually looks like the pipes came this way. The sound is better than the screaming eagles which I had next to my bike to compare to. No problems with the fuel injection being messed up. If you want a deep rich sound this is the way to go. You do not need to change your air filter or download anything. I rode 88 miles today and had no problems. Total cost is zero.
It's been over 3 months since you did the drillout. How many miles have you gone since then and what has been your experience with the drilling procedure? Any problems with "flat spots" in performance? Backfiring? Cooking the plugs or pipes from an overlean condition? Thanks in advance for your response, mine goes out of warranty Aug. 1st and I'm thinking of drilling out the pipes like you did.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
danafwelch said:
It's been over 3 months since you did the drillout. How many miles have you gone since then and what has been your experience with the drilling procedure? Any problems with "flat spots" in performance? Backfiring? Cooking the plugs or pipes from an overlean condition? Thanks in advance for your response, mine goes out of warranty Aug. 1st and I'm thinking of drilling out the pipes like you did.
also, any decel backing?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts