Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered these items and I'd like to try to install them myself. I have no idea how to remove the seat for the base plate. Also do i need to drill any holes. if anyone can help please do. Oh and the tank bra how do you install that. thanks

·
1130cc.com PITFA
2,883 Posts
For the tank bra, make sure you have rubbing alcohol. You will need to clean the area REAL good where the velcro patch sticks to the inside of the airbox. The instructions are farely simple, the pictures are useless though. If you need help visually, I can snap a pic and post it for you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just put the baseplate on. From memory: follow the instructions pretty much except when it talks about retaining washers and using the "small washer". The kit comes with enough washers that you don't need to retain any and there is no small washer.... other than the one you can reuse if you choose on the pillion stud bolt. Obviously they added more parts to the kit but are still using the same instructions. You should have a lock washer and four flats left over.
Oh, and the allen head bolt that holds the pillion stud on...... the one that you need to fish your hand up between the rear fender and tire and fumble to get an allen wrench into..... it ain't metric like the other fasteners on the bike that I've run into. That would have been nice to know before getting frustrated trying to find the right sized metric allen wrench while pinching my wrist.
I fastened the luggage rack to the baseplate before I tightened it up to help align it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
it is easy to do i have not done the screen but the rest is easy if you take your time and follow the instructions pacanis is wright about getting your hand under the fender that is the hard part but you get there in the end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Base Plate

Did you have any issue with the 4 decorative bolts that go into the back of the plate? I can't get the threads to start without cross threading. It's like I got sent the wrong bolts in the package. Good thing they are just that - decorative. But it would be nice to have them in!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just installed a base plate a half hour ago. I didn't have any problems getting those decorative bolts to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Baseplate Install

I just completed my baseplate and had problems with both sets of bolts. I ended up having to tap both. Good luck. (they're metric by the way, can't remember the sizes) (found bolts that would work on the screws, and picked the tap accordingly)

·
Retired Devil Dog
148 Posts
I believe the small washer is to provide clearance for the ECM connector so it does not chaff on the bolt.......DC

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
did all that a few weeks back.....grabbed one of the guys in the maint dept with human sized arms n hands to help with the under fender stuff...and the decorative bolts sucked ass.....and YES clean your bra velco areas thoughoughly with alcohol. the only problem i had was snapping the threaded piece that the seat peg screws down on.....dealership said i needed a new frame.... cuz the piece comes factory...we grabbed a stainless bolt instead. all in all.....easy to do.....read n torque. Toughest thing for me was finding a baseplate.

·
Registered
161 Posts
EdmontonVRSCDX said:
Did you have any issue with the 4 decorative bolts that go into the back of the plate? I can't get the threads to start without cross threading. It's like I got sent the wrong bolts in the package. Good thing they are just that - decorative. But it would be nice to have them in!
I installed the luggage rack like I mentioned..... it attaches where the dummy bolts go and yes, tightening the bolts that came with the rack felt like they were going in cross threaded the whole way in. I assumed there was paint in the holes of the baseplate and I look forward to the same thing if I get a small sissy bar.

Hey DevilDog ;) You got a small washer with your kit? Mine were all the same diameter and thickness. They all would have fit in the recess that's in the baseplate.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wouldn't use the bra. It wears down the paint together with the dust that gets caught under it.

If you put one on there is no return !!!

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
EdmontonVRSCDX said:

Edmonton, do a search for the black baseplate, there is a whole thread on the bolts. It is a real cheap casting to start with then they didn't block the holes when powder coating. Result powder coat on threads.
It's best to run a tap through the threads, before mounting. saves all the fileings on your paint.
I replaced the bolts with better qty. black ones.
Enjoy the bike

1,501 Posts
Tank bra comes with alco-wipes, it's very easy to fit, baseplate can be hit and miss with badly alligned bolts (was that way on 06, still waiting for my 07 baseplate). Put a heavy coating of polish underneath the bra, it's supposed to stop marks? I found i scratched my chrome tank very easily so Bra's all round ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts