1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
186 Posts
I worry about buying wheels, especially used. Did they run into a curb with it? Not packaged well enough to ship? Dropped in shipping?

Once I bought a brand new 21" front wheel for my Softail Custom from a very reputable company, paid big bucks for it. When I went down to the Indy shop to look at it, the wrench said, come here I want to show you something. He had put it on the balancer to check it, and it was way out of true. I looked at the packaging they shipped it in and it was crap, just thin cardboard and no styrofoam. Had them send it back and got my money back. If they can't even package the wheel well enough to ship, and they make a living selling wheels, why would I mess with them again.

Others don't seem to have a problem buying used wheels. Good luck with it.

BTW love those Muscle wheels, gonna have to get me some.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
It sounds like a good deal. Don't forget that on your year model it's not direct throw on part though. I forget the particulars but bearings, spacers, possibly axle stuff needs to be sorted out. They changed bearing sizes between your bike and the Muscle.

·
Registered
962 Posts
wondered who brought this one ? as i saw it myself and it was cheap, but the guy selling was going to use it for a project ?

you could always mail him on ebay and just ask if it runs true and to pack it well for these reasons

it was cheap tho !

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Arse biscuits.How did I miss that :banghead:
Just what I need for when I fit the R1 front - let me know if you change your mind Louis :)

Steve

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Between the 07 and the muscle? Bolas, I didn't know that... R U sure?

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Louis, Just buy an axle and bearings ( if it does not have bearings already installed) and spacers for an F model and it will fit fine. I did this with my 06. The only modification I did was I had to custom cut the right side spacer once I put it together and measured for the length of it, but some have not had to cut the spacer at all.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
02-07 have a 1" axle and in 08 HD went to a 25mm axle.

No the wheel is not a bolt on. :deal:
Grrr. Presumably something to do with offering ABS. I missed that one. Oh well, even Harley can't rip me off too badly just for an axle and spacers. Can they?

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I paid about 50 for axle and 25 for all the spacers I think. Its not that bad a price.
Do you already have a narrow pulley on your bike ?

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, mine is a wide arsed AW. So, just axle and spacers. How come it doesn't need a different swinging arm and brake carrier?

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
The bearing bore depth is not the same on both sides of the wheel. I wonder how this was fixed.

I had my D wheels machined on one side to fix this problem.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bearing bore depth is not the same on both sides of the wheel. I wonder how this was fixed.

I had my D wheels machined on one side to fix this problem.
Hang on, this is a 2007 AW. I'm hoping ONLY the axle diameter has changed...

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I did this with my 06 R model.
All I did was buy the axle, bearings and spacers for the F model and all went perfectly fine.
Like I said, I had to custom cut the right hand side spacer to which I was not exactly sure why since I had an F model swing arm on my R, but that was it.
There is a notching of the brake tab on the frame that some have done but I did not do this. It is a bear taking the wheel off because I have too much brake tab on it. What I do is remove all the bolts in the brake caliper before removing the wheel and when putting it back together I leave all the bolts out until the wheel is back on with the caliper in place. I have not done the notch because I would need to re-powder coat my swing arm after that. so when I take the bike down for my big bore kit I will be doing this brake tab notching.
There is a video or thread with pictures here showing what to notch.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did this with my 06 R model.
All I did was buy the axle, bearings and spacers for the F model and all went perfectly fine.
Like I said, I had to custom cut the right hand side spacer to which I was not exactly sure why since I had an F model swing arm on my R, but that was it.
There is a notching of the brake tab on the frame that some have done but I did not do this. It is a bear taking the wheel off because I have too much brake tab on it. What I do is remove all the bolts in the brake caliper before removing the wheel and when putting it back together I leave all the bolts out until the wheel is back on with the caliper in place. I have not done the notch because I would need to re-powder coat my swing arm after that. so when I take the bike down for my big bore kit I will be doing this brake tab notching.
There is a video or thread with pictures here showing what to notch.
Yes, but you have the F model swing arm! Presumably the slot for the axle changed in 2008, otherwise how would it fit?

I'll have to go out and have a look in a minute, but it seems to me the axle goes through:

1) The left hand snail adjuster.
2) The swing arm.
3) The left hand spacer.
4) The left hand wheel bearing.
5) The right hand wheel bearing.
6) The right hand spacer.
7) The brake carrier.
-) The swing arm again.
8) The right hand snail adjuster.
9) The nut.

So all of these plus the axle itself will have to changed, surely?

And the swingarm makes the whole process way too expensive and complicated.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I inch is 25.4mm. Would it not be easier to machine the F wheel bearings to accept a 25.4mm axle? That way it should bolt straight up...

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I inch is 25.4mm. Would it not be easier to machine the F wheel bearings to accept a 25.4mm axle? That way it should bolt straight up...
Novel approach, but changing the inside diameter of a bearing would be very difficult and risky. But I like your thinking.

Why can't Louis just replace the 25mm bearings with 1 inchers?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts