Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Friend of Max.
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Ballistic Battery for my wife's 2006 VRSCD. However, I am wondering about a couple things:

Anyone who has already gotten one and is using it, are you using a battery tender on it?

I know the battery tender is for Pb-Acid batteries, but making the logical step: If these batteries are designed for motorcycles, then it is designed to be used with the standard charging system of the motorcycle.

If that is the case, then the battery tender should be appropriate to use with these batteries.

In fact, if you read the literature on the Ballistic Battery:

Ballistic Battery Instructions said:
They are compatible with your vehicle’s charging system and can be used in a “total loss” application. Any automotive or motorcycle based charger is acceptable to recharge your Ballistic Performance Components Battery as long as it has a auto-shut off at 14.4v to prevent over charging. If you are a using an automatic charger, be sure that it is not used in a automatic desulfication mode designed for lead-acid batteries, this can damage the cells.
I'm looking for real world experience with a Battery Tender, or Battery Tender Jr. on these batteries.

Thanks in advance.

RJ

It states:

·
Registered
43 Posts
RJ - I installed a Shorai Lithium Iron Battery in my '06 Nightrod about 4 weeks ago.
(Went from the original 12AH/200CCA to 21AH/315CCA and saved about 7 pounds in weight!)
Shorai has an almost identical instruction concerning Battery Tenders in their literature as the one you posted from Ballistc. I have kept the new battery on a Yuasa Tender every day since the install and there seem to be no apparent issues.

As an observation, I cannot feel the weight savings, (at best it's only about a 1% weight loss) however the bike starts immediately and when I plug it into the Tender the LEDs show the battery goes into float mode (topped off''if you will) in just a few seconds after putting it on the tender.

Regards,

Tony

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I know that with some BMW charging systems, Li batteries are a no-no because the voltage regulators float voltage is too high. I don't know what the float voltage is with the V-Rod however. I believe the Battery Tender website has an outstanding discussion on this subject.

·
Premium Member
11,245 Posts
I just posted a thread yeasterday about this same concern. Here is a Link to my thread. Some responses are there.

·
Locktite Queen
2,037 Posts
Rj, there is a Ballistic charger available for their battery. I went with the Ballistic myself and will be finishing up my mods this weekend. I ave not started up the bike with it yet.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
I have seen it and held it in my hand. WOW very light.

Looks nice. Takes up half the space.

It is said that it does not need to be charged.

I to am curious before the purchase.

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
Same here, looking a picking one up as well. My battery is almost 5years old, and I've heard story's the the VRFI doesn't like old batteries. I agree with RJ since I'm up here in the Dakota's our season is shorter and I know what the cold does to batteries as well.

·
Friend of Max.
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys. Their web site "suggests" we use their charger because of its additional capabilities. I don't generally need a charger as I ride quite a bit. I do have two scoots. THe Road KIng can set for several weeks without a problem but the V-Rod will discharge almost completely after two weeks. A caution on the web site also states the batteries must never be allowed to drop below 9 volts.
I understand that they have their $70 charger, but if I go this route, I'll probably put one in each of the V-Rods. When we put them up for the winter, I ain't pulling batteries, I'll leave them on the trickle charger. Is there a better option than spending a small fortune for two batteries, and two chargers. Plus I have to tend the lawn mower, tractor, 4 wheelers, etc and so forth.

Maybe I should just stick with replacing lead ones every 4 years or so and call it a day. After all, I can always chop up the batteries, neutralize the sulfuric acid, and then cast the lead into boolits!! ;)

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-battery/li-ion-motorcycle-battery/shorai-vs-ballistic-li-ion-motorcycle-battery.htm

webBikeWorld Score Sheet: LFP Battery Comparison
Ambient Temperature: 54 F. Engine Temperature: 51.6 F.
The numbers 1, 2 and 3 represent the start attempts.

Static Volts Ignition On V. Cranking Volts Min Volts* Notes

OE Battery 1 12.9 12.1 10.1 7.8
OE Battery 2 12.7 12.1 9.2 7.6
OE Battery 3 12.5 12.0 7.5 5.0 Battery dead, won't start.

Shorai 1 13.5 13.1 11.1 10.0
Shorai 2 13.3 13.10 11.2 10.0
Shorai 3 13.3 13.0 11.3 9.8

Ballistic 1 13.4 13.1 10.0 10.0
Ballistic 2 13.1 12.9 10.4 10.1
Ballistic 3 13.2 13.0 10.1 10.0
* Minimum Volts indicated during cranking.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
I have seen it and held it in my hand. WOW very light.

Looks nice. Takes up half the space.

It is said that it does not need to be charged.

I to am curious before the purchase.

U need to charger, if u have a intrnational model that come fitted with a security package cos the put a constant drain on the battery.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,373 Posts
I know that with some BMW charging systems, Li batteries are a no-no because the voltage regulators float voltage is too high. I don't know what the float voltage is with the V-Rod however. I believe the Battery Tender website has an outstanding discussion on this subject.
I've got a BMW charger I got from a friend that sold his Bimmer. It's a relabeled Battery Tender.

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
According to H-D website
Output is 12 VDC @ 750 mA.
Since the Battery can take 14 volts at 2 amps then I believe it is safe to try the H-D tender on the Li-ION battery. Most Li-Ion Batteries have a charging circuit built inside of them to prevent damage to the battery, I bet the 14 volt 2 amp limit is based on the limits of the charging circuit.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
I have had this battery in since last February (2011) and have not used a battery tender yet.
Starts right up even with the stage II CAMS WHICH DONT HAVE A COMPRESSION RELEASE.
fukkin caps lock.
I also mounted a quick connect negative battery cable when i will be sitting for more than a week.
I bought 3 of these, 1 for the Vrod, one for a monster, and one for a R6.
the R6 sat for 6 months with this battery and surprised me when it fired on the first try.
the only thing with all Lithium batteries is they don't like constant draw, that is DONT LEAVE IT IN RUN MODE WITHOUT THE MOTOR RUNNING.You'll be sorry
I see very soon these as standard OEM on motorcycles soon.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
If i had to rely on a battery charger , i wouldnt consider that battery . Im a daily rider , now riding cross country .

·
Locktite Queen
2,037 Posts
I have had this battery in since last February (2011) and have not used a battery tender yet.
Starts right up even with the stage II CAMS WHICH DONT HAVE A COMPRESSION RELEASE.
fukkin caps lock.
I also mounted a quick connect negative battery cable when i will be sitting for more than a week.
I bought 3 of these, 1 for the Vrod, one for a monster, and one for a R6.
the R6 sat for 6 months with this battery and surprised me when it fired on the first try.
the only thing with all Lithium batteries is they don't like constant draw, that is DONT LEAVE IT IN RUN MODE WITHOUT THE MOTOR RUNNING.You'll be sorry
I see very soon these as standard OEM on motorcycles soon.

RJ,

I bought mine last January, put it in the basement with the bike for the winter. Did some mods and left the battery alone, no battery tender. I started up the bike on Saturday afternoon on the first try without an issue. It didn't miss a beat.

he thing is amazingly small and light. And it solves the problem of how to cram 15 lbs of crap into the airbox area....lol! I can see daylight through the battery tray now when the side covers are off!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts