Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Night Rod Owner
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on a trip soon and a friend loaned me his back rest bag set. I can secure it with the back rest and luggage rack, but it looks like it is going to break something. It is 26 Tall x 21 Wide x 11 Deep. (luggage rack said 10lbs max) I know to put the heavy stuff in the base (jeans, etc), but has anyone ever had a damaging experience with a travel bag?

Thanks. Larry

·
Registered
878 Posts
If your riding solo, just flip it around and rest it on the seat behind you..

·
Night Rod Owner
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the reason for the BIG bag. Taking a lady with me.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
V-Rods were'nt ment for bags and windshields. Or trailers for that matter.

·
George
5,411 Posts
No worries...... I've had at least 40# on mine for many-a-trip! But a word of caution..... The V doesn't like a heavy ass... kinda wants to wobble

·
Night Rod Owner
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to preface this thread with: Knowing the VRod was not designed to haul anything but one person, those of you who have put bags on your Rod, was there any draw back other than the awkward looks you got going to and from your destination?

·
George
5,411 Posts
Larman4 said:
I forgot to preface this thread with: Knowing the VRod was not designed to haul anything but one person, those of you who have put bags on your Rod, was there any draw back other than the awkward looks you got going to and from your destination?
Ahhh yes but a V with bags is such a beautiful sight.... just ask David!

·
Red Rod Rider
244 Posts
we recently did a trip from london to somerset, about a 300 mile round trip, i had ordered a kury' rack from the states but it didnt arrive in time, so i ended up strapping a tour bag to the sissy bar with it sitting on the fender, it weighed 15kg (36 lbs) maybe i was lucky but it stayed there & nothing broke, i did keep it mostly down to a ton to be on the safe side, with the odd 120mph blast... :)

·
Night Rod Owner
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I need a bag like that. Thanks for the info.

·
Red Rod Rider
244 Posts
Larman4 said:
I need a bag like that. Thanks for the info.
its a Kuryakyn classic tour bag, not the cheapest but its good quality & has a huge velcro strap to wrap around the sissy bar..

·
George
5,411 Posts
This is the Biker's Friend Bag

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Biker's Friend is the way to go :D :thumb:

·
Night Rod Owner
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the variety of suggestions. Off to the local bike shops to find something different.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
You can break the standard luggage rack given enough time and weight. Trust me.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Daniii said:
You can break the standard luggage rack given enough time and weight. Trust me.
D......

What'd you ever do with that??? build new or reinforce?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
capngeo said:
D......

What'd you ever do with that??? build new or reinforce?
Bought a new one, then reinforced it with aluminum angle and an upgraded rear brace.

·
Registered
204 Posts
here are a couple of pictures from my sturgis run this year. almost 30lbs. no problems at all and we were running 85 to 90 mph. all the way across south dakota both ways.
BIKE (10).JPG

STURGIS TRIP (85).JPG

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
10 pounds is a ridiculously low number. I can't believe they would make something that weak. I've never tried the luggage rack I usually put the bag on the passenger seat and it works great.

Also, why post comments about the V not being meant for luggage, etc? Some people actually like to ride their motorcycles long distances and don't have money for a seperate touring bike. Yes I agree it doesn't look good, but sometimes it just has to be done.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
louballs said:
10 pounds is a ridiculously low number. I can't believe they would make something that weak. I've never tried the luggage rack I usually put the bag on the passenger seat and it works great.

Also, why post comments about the V not being meant for luggage, etc? Some people actually like to ride their motorcycles long distances and don't have money for a seperate touring bike. Yes I agree it doesn't look good, but sometimes it just has to be done.
I agree with you on both points. HD probably needs to be conservative because they can't control how much cantilever someone is going to use on the rack.

Concerning how it looks: For most of us riding isn't some sort of bike show. I can't see my bike when I'm riding, so why should I care what it looks like, as long as the stuff is secured and doesn't make the bike unridable. I guess posers don't understand this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts