Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,

I have the true dual Rinehart Racing Pipes on my '08 AW and find them too loud for my liking / riding...

Does anyone know of a good baffle replacement for these pipes to quiet them down? I've search on-line endlessly and found a few but not sure what to expect from them:

Khrome Werks
JP Cycles: Rinehart Quiet Baffles
Or Baffle Wrap: --> http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/111/3269/=cd19bl

Does anyone have any experience with these or used them???

Thanks - Garret

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i tried them and even packed the hell out of them and still loud as hell. I changed exhaust.

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
I did buy the stealth baffles. But, they're not made anymore, and you'd be lucky to find them. I wrapped the stealth baffles with packing, and it did make a difference over the stock baffles. They're still loud, but not obnoxiously loud IMO. I really like my Rinehart's especially with the stealth baffles. Good luck finding some. I ended up picking up a pair from a Canadian store online (last set for them).

·
Dog In Training
1,514 Posts
Somewhere here there is a thread where someone took and added a baffle section to the original baffles. They welded i/2 baffle to the end of the originals to make them longer. I was going to do that but was afraid I was going to damage the pipes trying to remove the original baffles. Personnaly since the cars around me knew I was there when riding I started to love them!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Love em or hate em you will find strong opinions on this forum about these pipes.

I bought the stealth baffles from Rinehart, then I ordered the fiberglass material off ebay and wrapped them. This took out the high end noise from the pipes.

Then after awhile I wanted to go louder and deeper, and through experimentation I found that if I welded a big city thunder monster baffle knock of from ebay in front of the stock baffles the tone was lower but slightly louder than just the stock baffles.

I am pretty happy with them now. But if you want max quiet wrap the quiet baffles.

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies and suggestions...

J&P Cycles replied to my email and asked that I confirm the i.d. of the pipes and they'd help w/picking a baffle sized for the pipes.

I also like the idea of maybe just adding the additional baffle to the existing. I'm not lookin for max. quiet, just want to tone them down some. Although I must say, after my first long ride on it Sat. (150 mi.) I did start to get used to them, but do think a lower pitch would be nice as well which I would expect to be result of toning down as well.

Garret

·
Registered
153 Posts
now that ur used to the pipes u wont enjoy the added baffle. i actually have two bike with these pipes, one baffleless and one with baffles. the one with baffles is way to quite.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
I had the Rineharts and put in the Big City Thunder QQ baffles and it quieted them down by 25-30%. They were still a bit loud, but at least it kept the cops off my back. Just remember that the Rineharts were never made to be quiet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the Rineharts and put in the Big City Thunder QQ baffles and it quieted them down by 25-30%. They were still a bit loud, but at least it kept the cops off my back. Just remember that the Rineharts were never made to be quiet.
Hey - thanks for the tip, I checked their site out, they look more promising then what J&P has to offer.

Which size did you end up using? 2” inside diameter with a 2 1/8” outside diameter OR 1 7/8” inside diameter with a 2” outside diameter

Where you happy w/the sound of them? A 25 - 30% red. in noise would be just right at this point.

Thanks again,
Garret

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
I think I went with the 2" size and they were just "snug". Measure your pipes with the end cap off to be sure. I put them in midway in the pipe and far enough in so I could also install the stock Rinehart baffles and that gave a nice deeper rumble, they would still bark if you gave the throttle a quick twist though. Overall the guys riding behind me noticed that they quieted down. Dont forget to measure everything twice before you finally install anything, don't ask me how I know this......
Good Luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions installing them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ordered the QQ Thunder Monster Baffles

I think I went with the 2" size and they were just "snug". Measure your pipes with the end cap off to be sure. I put them in midway in the pipe and far enough in so I could also install the stock Rinehart baffles and that gave a nice deeper rumble, they would still bark if you gave the throttle a quick twist though. Overall the guys riding behind me noticed that they quieted down. Dont forget to measure everything twice before you finally install anything, don't ask me how I know this......
Good Luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions installing them.
Thanks for your follow-up...

I just ordered them, yeah, 2 1/8" i.d w/cap off.
So did you run it w/only the QQ baffles and then w/stock installed as well and find they sounded better w/the stockers in?

Will the QQ's fit into the stock hole location for the stock baffles?

Garret

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for your follow-up...

I just ordered them, yeah, 2 1/8" i.d w/cap off.
So did you run it w/only the QQ baffles and then w/stock installed as well and find they sounded better w/the stockers in?

Will the QQ's fit into the stock hole location for the stock baffles?

Garret
So did they quiet down the bike and did you use them in front of stock baffles?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe I installed them right behind the existing baffles since they're buried pretty far up stream and they fit fine that way.

Note: The stock baffles are not much of a baffle per say, they appear to just create some turbulence in the exhaust flow.

They did help, but didn't have the pipes on long enough to tell if they woud quiet down some more w/some carbon build-up to further restrict them some.

I still have them if you're interested in them?

Garret

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe I installed them right behind the existing baffles since they're buried pretty far up stream and they fit fine that way.

Note: The stock baffles are not much of a baffle per say, they appear to just create some turbulence in the exhaust flow.

They did help, but didn't have the pipes on long enough to tell if they woud quiet down some more w/some carbon build-up to further restrict them some.

I still have them if you're interested in them?

Garret
Price? Part number 2bl2125?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,957 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
i welded the original & " stealth" baffles together & stuffed them back in the pipe. it took some of the bite out of the bark. lowered the tone a little also. my riding buddies & my ears are happier

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have Rienharts and Stealth baffles, the main difference is 4 rows worth of more holes, the tubes are the same length and this reduces the SPL from 115db to 110db, (No packing) - Funny that I was researching this for a members M1800R.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts