Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
06 VRSCR
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per owners manual, go through the normal start up procedure, push start and nothing happens, no starter solenoid click, no nothing. Three times now in the last month my bike wouldn't start for no apparent reason. First time I chalked it up to the security fob. 2nd and third time, it couldn't have been the security system since it wasn't armed. First two times bike was at normal operating temp, third time it was cold. Each time this has happened, I end up rotating the off/ignition switch a bunch of times and pressing the start button a dozen times and eventually you hear the solenoid click, the starter engage and the motor will start. When it does eventually start the starter motor sounds nice and healthy, like it's getting tons of juice from the battery. I think my problem is a bad start switch on the handle bars. Anyone else ever have a problem similar to this?

06VRSCR

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Two places to check. One is the start switch as you already noted. The other is the starter relay. If you are getting NO CLICK under the airbox in front of the seat, then the starter relay could be going bad.

A quick way to check this: Next time it happens, take off the airbox and swap out the starter relay with the fan relay. Then try again.

If it starts, then you have a bad relay and need to replace it.

RJ

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Elgavilan said:
:them: As usual, RJ is right on the money.

Mike
My Holiday Inn bill is getting out of hand!!:broke:

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
That exact same thing happened to my Softail. Got water in the switch and the contacts corroded. Replace the switch, or next time just take it apart and bridge the 2 wires with a lead...that will tell you.

I bet it's the switch.

·
Registered Used
342 Posts
If your bike has been in rain a quick fix could be shoot some WD40 into the switch housing. Worked for me and never had any trouble again. Just a thought

·
06 VRSCR
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will do the relay check and the start switch jumper, next time it happens. The bike is under warranty, but I just hate the hassle of taking it into the dealership.
I had an 04 Vulcan that had burned contacts in the headlamp switch and I thought I could have a similar thing going with my v-rod start switch.

06 VRSCR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts