Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here had to replace their rear motor mounts?
My motor has apparently moved backwards a significant amount and now the front of my fuel tank is making contact with the motor before it is all the way seated.

I'm assuming that the swingarm shaft should be centered in the rear engine mount brackets and mine is way off center towards the back. The front one also looks to be sagging a bit but I havent' taken it apart to see if it's actually broken.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I think Daniii had a broken front mount in his bike. You could ask him. Link to his thread here. Look towards the beginning of the thread.

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks to me like all the mounts need replacing. I think I'll leave this up to the dealer since I still have warranty coverage. The last picture shows there's only 2mm clearance between the motor and the heat shield in front of the fuel tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
My front mount was toast, but the rears were just fine. They upgraded the front, and we installed the new/better one. I haven't heard of the rears being bad however. How many miles on your bike??

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Daniii said:
My front mount was toast, but the rears were just fine. They upgraded the front, and we installed the new/better one. I haven't heard of the rears being bad however. How many miles on your bike??
I have about 36k on it. I'm thinking that the rears should be a lot closer to center than they are. It's almost metal to metal.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
If the front was toast, I suppose things could slip back...... And your front is well and truly toast.

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone have a picture of some good rear engine mounts for reference?
I searched for some in the tank install threads, but couldn't find any from the correct angle.

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bill,
Those are great pics, but it's hard to tell from an angle like that.
I have some pics from my initial tank install too but the mounts were not really the focus of the picture in those either.
I think it's safe to say that mine are trashed, but I'm still wondering how I can convince the $tealership to replace them under warranty.
And to take it one step further, I'd like them to replace the front one with the '05 mount.
I don't ask for much, huh?

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After seven weeks of dinkin' around I finally got my motormounts replaced under warranty. Front and rear mounts were replaced and they even ordered the 05 upgraded mount for the front. The bad news is that they also ordered the 05 parts for the rear which apparently didn't fit and had to be reordered(twice) and now that I have the bike back I noticed that there's a pretty big gap between the top and bottom halves of the front mount.
I might just be worried about nothing, but I know it would be a waste of time to ask the dealer if there was something wrong with their work so I'm turning to the real experts...
Does anyone have a good close up picture of the 05 front engine mount installed?
I've attached some pics of mine below.

Also, since this whole ordeal started due to my 5 gallon tank making contact with the back of my engine case; Im curious how much clearance there should be between the back of the motor and the shield in front of the fuel tank. Mine seems extremely close, I could barely slip a 2mm allen wrench into the gap between mine...

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I have that much gap at the front mount. And it looks the same at the rear as in your picture.

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Daniii said:
I have that much gap at the front mount. And it looks the same at the rear as in your picture.
Thanks,
Do you have a 5 gallon tank installed?

Mine fit fine when I installed it, but 10,000 miles later the tank met the motor up close and personal. Now that the new mounts are installed I have 4.5mm clearance between the engine case and the shield in front of the tank so I'm sure the tank will fit now. It was down to 2mm before, but I'm still wondering if there's something wrong with my bike or if the manufacturer of the tank just didn't take into account the fluctuations of the fore/aft positioning of the engine as things (such as motor mounts) wear and pushed the envelope too far in that area.
I've attached some more pics below

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I haven't moved up to the 5 gallon yet. May do so later (I have a 3 gallon aux tank). You didn't say which tank you have (and best not say so here), but one is known to have clearance issues. You can PM me if you want to know more.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
rattletrap said:
Thanks,
Do you have a 5 gallon tank installed?

Mine fit fine when I installed it, but 10,000 miles later the tank met the motor up close and personal. Now that the new mounts are installed I have 4.5mm clearance between the engine case and the shield in front of the tank so I'm sure the tank will fit now. It was down to 2mm before, but I'm still wondering if there's something wrong with my bike or if the manufacturer of the tank just didn't take into account the fluctuations of the fore/aft positioning of the engine as things (such as motor mounts) wear and pushed the envelope too far in that area.
I've attached some more pics below
You don't have to tell me who's tank you have, it is a tank manufacturer error. It is a case of he didn't take the time to consider tolerances for more then just his own bike. Between the tank expanding and the differences in manufacture tolerances in the bike the manufacture of your tank just didn't consider all the points of contact.

With 66k miles and still the original rear mounts my engine is no place close to my tank but I have a different brand tank then you do. I don't think you were really in danger of it rubbing through and the wiring on the far right that was rubbing can be re-routed but any tank contact with the motor isn't a good thing.

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Max said:
You don't have to tell me who's tank you have, it is a tank manufacturer error. It is a case of he didn't take the time to consider tolerances for more then just his own bike. Between the tank expanding and the differences in manufacture tolerances in the bike the manufacture of your tank just didn't consider all the points of contact.

With 66k miles and still the original rear mounts my engine is no place close to my tank but I have a different brand tank then you do. I don't think you were really in danger of it rubbing through and the wiring on the far right that was rubbing can be re-routed but any tank contact with the motor isn't a good thing.
Thanks for the input Max,

I don't think it was anywhere near wearing through either, but there is no way I would reinstall it knowing there would be contact. Now that things are rearranged a little I'm wondering if or how soon I'll be back in the same boat.
I have a pretty long road trip coming up(Key West)and I'd rather not do it with the stock tank.

I'd still like to know what kind of clearance some others have in the area I inquired about if anyone has time to measure it. I'm trying to get a feel for where my bike is compared to others, especially any others that have the same un-named tank.

For what it's worth, I probably would have purchased the other tank if I'd got any response to my email inquiries sent to the manufacturer.
At that time I was unaware of any resellers or group buys going on here so I just moved on to the next product.

In the beginning I was impressed with the attention I got from the manufacturer of this tank, but just like some $tealerships I've visited, in the end, I just got it in the end $tealership style.
Another lesson learned...

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
rattletrap said:
Thanks Bill,
Those are great pics, but it's hard to tell from an angle like that.
I have some pics from my initial tank install too but the mounts were not really the focus of the picture in those either.
I think it's safe to say that mine are trashed, but I'm still wondering how I can convince the $tealership to replace them under warranty.
And to take it one step further, I'd like them to replace the front one with the '05 mount.
I don't ask for much, huh?
A four year old bike? Your warranty expired after two years. Regardless of mileage at this point it would be the dealer covering it out of their own pocket. Good luck.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
Jim J said:
A four year old bike? Your warranty expired after two years. Regardless of mileage at this point it would be the dealer covering it out of their own pocket. Good luck.

I have a 3 year old bike with another almost 2 years left on the warranty. Maybe he got the extended warranty as I did.

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the extended warranty and they did replace the mounts since they were bad. I'd still love to hear how much clearance some other bikes have between the back of the engine case and the front of the shield in front of the fuel tank if anyone has time to slip an allen wrench in there to see.
I never intended for this to be another "tank thread" even though there is one involved.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
rattletrap said:
I got the extended warranty and they did replace the mounts since they were bad. I'd still love to hear how much clearance some other bikes have between the back of the engine case and the front of the shield in front of the fuel tank if anyone has time to slip an allen wrench in there to see.
I never intended for this to be another "tank thread" even though there is one involved.
I just checked mine, I can slip a 4mm wrench between the rear of the engine and the upper metal shield in front of the tank. I can stick an 8 mm wrench between the tank and the motor at the point yours made contact.

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
rattletrap said:
That's great!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts