Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The high temperature light came on the display last week while traveling in traffic and noticed the cooling fans were not on. The next day I investigated with my manuals and tools in hand. There may have been a quicker way to do this but the bike is new to me and the dealer was not an option. I powered the fans they worked with a power supply. Placed and ohm meter to the leads of the temperature sensor and applied heat to it. The resistance lowered indicating it was working. The thermostat was doing it's job. The only thing I know left to check was the relay. I swapped it for the starter relay and the fans came on and the bike did not start on the first hit of the button. I called my local dealership who had one in stock for $5 and replaced it on the dealer lot. My question is this a fluke or do these relays have a short life span and should I have an extra in stock? -Kevin

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Relays can be like any other electrical component and fail early or not. My '02 still has all its original relays and fuses, after 54000 miles. I would place it in the fluke category.

·
Noel
4,611 Posts
Relays can be like any other electrical component and fail early or not. My '02 still has all its original relays and fuses, after 54000 miles. I would place it in the fluke category.
\:them:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts