Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve done my time researching the forum / google / eBay / Harley’s parts catalog ect ect..

I’ve seen the one off custom backrests, the bicep, all of them. Honestly don’t like the designs and i use the existing mounting points for other things.

Drilling into the fender isn’t an issue for me, the backrest provides safety for my passenger and i like the one HD offers just not the ugly rack.

Twice during my quest to find the perfect backrest i thought i saw the light. In an old thread someone mentioned you could have the cast upright from Harley w/out the luggage rack but i couldn’t find pictures or any supporting evidence (only for the muscle and not the NRS). And then i saw these google images of a 14’ DX for for sale that did not have the “required” rack. . .

Is someone out there making separate mounts or has this always been an option?

Attachments

·
riding Ocean
173 Posts
Standard Harley sissy bar with backrest is separate from the luggage rack.
Each has 4 mounting points which are separate from each other (not dependent).
Sissy bar screws are on the sides of the mounting plate attached to the fender.
Luggage rack has 4 screws into the mounting plate but behind the sissy bar.
You can run either one or both (on a '09 VRSCDX at least).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can run either one or both (on a '09 VRSCDX at least).
I should have specified. looking for a 2012+ solution. Ive seen muscles backrest and they are advertised as independent from the luggage rack, "Fits 09-'17 VRSCF models. Requires separate purchase of Upright Installation Kit P/N 51607-09 or Cast One-Piece Luggage Rack P/N 53315-09. (can this fit?)

whereas the 2012+ night rods say "Requires separate purchase of Cast One-Piece Luggage Rack P/N 50300028". The night rod in the attachments appears to have just the backrest and i was hoping someone had some sort of experience doing that.. before i went around throwing money only to find it truly does require the luggage rack, without serious modifications.

·
riding Ocean
173 Posts
You may have to go to a Harley dealer and have a look at the actual part then. Even if they don't have it in stock they should have a better description of it in their system than in the catalog.
Or continue looking for someone who owns a 12+.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own a 12 had a back rest and luggage rack on it. They are definitely a two piece system that has to be ran as a one. I’m still trying to figure out a way to just run the back rest. But beware you have to drill three monster holes to run the rack and backrest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own a 12 had a back rest and luggage rack on it. They are definitely a two piece system that has to be ran as a one. I’m still trying to figure out a way to just run the back rest. But beware you have to drill three monster holes to run the rack and backrest.
That’s why i was so shocked to see that night rod with just the backrest installed in the attached pictures... Tempted to see if i can get a muscle backrest and mounting plate to fit. Or play with the Nightrod backrest to make a mount for it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My NRS came with the stubby OEM BR and rack.

I have no plans on having a passenger (pegs have been removed) and I personally do not like the looks of the setup. However, the BR has become an ideal spot to hold my FF helmet and the rack has been handy to net my jacket/chaps to (on those hot days).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After some thinking, the pictures look to be the standard HD setup that’s been chopped. Specifically the bottom mount looks to be rounded off and the luggage rack was not installed overtop as the install guide depicts.

I’m guessing the bottom “plate” is needed to match the flat surface of the rear fender, makes it rather bulky.. This is all just a cluster [email protected]!k of a design. Envious of the simple backrest HD offers for the muscle.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have a no drill back rest - luggage rack set up from Brazil. No longer have the bike. The back rest can be used without the luggage rack. If interested, contact me. Thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So today i ordered a backrest from dalavas.. coming from brazil.. will delivered in 25-30 days.. lets see how it goes..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts