Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the sundowner seat and am going to get the backrest pad which will be used 75% of the time to support my lazyrider bag(which doubles as a backrest) and 25%
of the time as a backrest for my wife. Should I get the larger pad or the smaller. I have heard that the larger pushes the wife forward in an uncomfortable manner, but I have not seen a pic of the smaller backrest with the sundowner seat(might not look right).
Any thoughts and sorry for the long post...

·
1,738 Posts
The thickness of the Touring Pad and the Standard Pad is about the same. I doubt that she would notice any difference. Both are too thick for the seat. I prefer the Touring Pad as it gives you more width to anchor bags, and I think it looks better IMHO.

I have cut about 1 inch off the back of the foam pad, then created a channel on the back of the front part of the foam pad for the indentations on the plastic attachment plate (used a wood file). This greatly improved passanger seating comfort, but left lots of slack in the vinyl cover. To take up the slack I placed a 1/4 inch of very low density foam (compresses easily) and built up the areas on the back of the mounting plate around the channels for the sissy bar with double sided tape and some 1/4 inch hard foam pieces. The pad now looks fairly normal, but gives an inch more room on the seat.

You could also take the desired amount off the front of the foam and try and contour it with a file instead of cutting channels in the front half. (tried that first, but cut away too much foam) Also, instead of building up the back of the plate and using soft foam in the front to take up slack, you could have the cover altered by an upolstry shop.

Complicated instructions, I know. I should have taken pictures of the process but it was trial and error, and I tried several approaches before getting it to look and work right. I have so many staple holes in the cover that I am reluctant to take it apart again. Once you get it apart, it should all make sense.

A f...ing lot of work to correct something HD should have done right in the first place.

Fred

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
One week after picking up my bike, it was in at Psycho Seat Co. getting a custom passenger pad made. My girlfriend was used to just riding on a fender, but the OEM seat was torture for her. So, down the road I ended up putting the small packrest (with the adapter plate) on the bike, but the adapter plate lifted the back of the passenger pad and now she slides off the front. SO, now it s of to the guys at Psycho again.:rolleyes:
Ok ther is a point here... I think it's the adapter plate that makes the passenger slide forward, since it lifts the back of the pad about .5 inches.

Greg

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
TIvy, I did what VFred said, but an easier way. First, I have a spare pad so that gave me the courage to do this. I unstapled the bottom of the touring pad and pulled out the guts. There is a plastic bag wrappped piece of foam glued to a plastic backer plate. Using a serrated knive, I sliced the foam into three sections. I put the middle section behind the backer plate, placed over the chrome bar, put the plastic bag back over the mess, and pulled the leather cover back over that. I tucked the ends under it all. This resulted in about 3/4" more rear seat. I didn't reattach it to the bar. There is no way it will come off, embedded as it is. I used a magic marker to blacken the holes where the bolts went through the cover. If you want, I'll post a picture.

·
1,738 Posts
Danni: My way sounds better as I can still use the screws to attach the pad to the sissy bar, and there is only approx 1/4 inch taken up behind the mounting plate so it does not decrease luggage room. The soft low density foam on the front of the padhas just enough spring to it that it fills out the cover, but compresses completely when leaned against.

By the way, tried to post a 640 x 480 picture and it says the file is too big?????

Fred

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Here is a pic of mine.

If your resolution is too high, the picture probably exceeds file size. Try making it a little smaler, or reduce the resoilution.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
From the rear. And I still have the other one...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts