Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I bought an 09 second hand, it already had the V&H comp. series and K&N intake filter and power commander installed.

I notice that all the time when i am gearing down from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st, I hear a pop in the exhaust, like a backfire. its not a gunshot backfire, but a popping.

Also, I have noticed on a few occasions that if im idling along say in 2nd or 3rd, I feel the bike hiccup for a sec. The hiccup is felt through the bike.

I have read that all bikes backfire when idling down or transitioning from throtle on to off, but is generally covered up by the stock exhausts baffles. Thus the V&H's magnify this phenomenon.

I am however concerned at the hiccup I notice every now and again. I am running 91 octane gas so its not the fuel.

I am thinking, do I need to get the power commander reprogrammed. i see the the V&H website has a downloadable fuel map. is this reprogramming doable at home or do you need to go into the shop?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It is doable yourself. Did you get that USB cable with your bike? If not it is a standard Mini USB like you probably already have for a camera (see attached pic) Download the software from Power Commander website and then start tuning. shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you a map of the same set-up I tuned for a buddy of mine... it probably isn't perfect but his best ET to date with it has been an 11.5 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, thanks for the reply. I have that cable. I do not even know where the power commander is on the bike!

Also, can I take the maps off the bike to replace later if the new ones are not better? Is there any chance of F'n up the bike by doing this?

Im not looking to do any drag racing on the bike. i just want a clean map that the bike can run on. Not too lean and not too rich.

I have noticed that the right pipe coupling where the slip on goes is leaving black splatter marks on the engine, I guess that could be a cause of the exhaust popping. But the engine studder while at idle cruising would be something else.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yes you can pull the map off and save it that you currently have. I would not recommend just willy nilly making changes because there are a few settings that could potentially harm you engine. that being said people are running your combination without any tuning at all and have not seemed to hurt there bike yet so I would say as long as you don't play with the spark tables and never use a negative number in the fuel tables you are probably not going to hurt it any worse then the guys running with no tune at all.

If you cannot see the tuner then a guaranteed way to find it is the remove the back seat and follow the cables from the main ecm to the Power Commander. The main ECM has the largest connector under the seat connected to it. It is about 4 inches long by an 1" tall.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, theres only so many placed to hide something on these bikes, id say its under the airbox. What do I need to recognize the powercommander? is there a windows program that runs it for you?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
That is the map to start with if you are going to start with one of their base maps. I have found if you cut and paste into Excel you can add 1 across the fuel tables fairly easily and that should have you running decent for a starting map.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It can be in the air box or under the back seat.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, looks like I got a SE pro Super Tuner from HD and a screaming eagle blue intake filter with my V&H Comp Series.

I looked at the service records I got with the bike. So now, the question is, why the studder and popping?

I retightened the right slipon clamp to stop the leak, will see if that helps with the deceleration popping.

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Sorry, looks like I got a SE pro Super Tuner from HD and a screaming eagle blue intake filter with my V&H Comp Series.

I looked at the service records I got with the bike. So now, the question is, why the studder and popping?

I retightened the right slipon clamp to stop the leak, will see if that helps with the deceleration popping.
I have the same stage 1 setup as you. Only difference is that I have the older SERT. I had an infrequent stutter/miss when running low throttle in first/second, but even before (and after) my 1k final dyno tunes I've had the deceleration popping from the exhaust. Also, after the final dyno the stutter/miss seems to have gone away, but I do only have about 50 miles on the bike since I got it back.

I've got a friend that has Bub Jugs on his "A" and it pops when decelerating too. I think the delerating pops are pretty cool sounding and if you listen to most cars that have aftermarket exhausts/mods, they have the same decel pops too. Don't sweat it, my friend.

How many miles/kms do you have on the bike now?

Jeff

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
Mine does the same thing with PCV and TAB exhaust, I feel it cruising and occasionally decelerating. If you ride with a full-face helmet it also amplifies the sounds through resonation.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine does the same thing with PCV and TAB exhaust, I feel it cruising and occasionally decelerating. If you ride with a full-face helmet it also amplifies the sounds through resonation.
I do have a full face helmet on, I thought it would hide that sound more and that the people watching me go down the road would be shaking their head in disqust!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same stage 1 setup as you. Only difference is that I have the older SERT. I had an infrequent stutter/miss when running low throttle in first/second, but even before (and after) my 1k final dyno tunes I've had the deceleration popping from the exhaust. Also, after the final dyno the stutter/miss seems to have gone away, but I do only have about 50 miles on the bike since I got it back.

I've got a friend that has Bub Jugs on his "A" and it pops when decelerating too. I think the delerating pops are pretty cool sounding and if you listen to most cars that have aftermarket exhausts/mods, they have the same decel pops too. Don't sweat it, my friend.

How many miles/kms do you have on the bike now?

Jeff
the bike had 2900miles on it when I bought it, now theres 3160miles

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
do the V&H slip ons have a gasket or something that needs to be installed where you couple the pipes to the stock headers?

and what gas is this bike supposed to take? regular, medium or supreme?

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
• Air-Fuel Ratio (AFR)
• Volumetric Efficiency (VE) Front and Rear Cylinders
• PE Air-Fuel Ratio
• Warm-up Enrichment
• Cranking Fuel
• Closed Loop Bias (Closed Loop Calibrations only)
• Acceleration Enrichment (AE )
• Deceleration Enleanment (DE )
• Spark Advance (SA1, SA2 ) Front and Rear Cylinders
• PE Spark Table
• Spark Temperature Correction Table
• Closed Throttle Spark Table
• Adaptive Knock Retard Table
• Max Knock Retard (This may be a table or a constant depending on the calibration)
• Idle RPM
• IAC Warm-up Steps

These are all the things that can be adjusted by your dyno guy.
Deceleration Enleanment (DE ) is what helps the poping and cracking.
To much unburned gas in the pipes. To rich on deceleration.
My bike has some poping. My dyno guy said he would not be able to get all of it out, but it is way better than before the tune. It is down to that cool sounding level that is acceptable. There is no stumbying any more at any RPM.

Bicep

·
Jeff
283 Posts
• Air-Fuel Ratio (AFR)
• Volumetric Efficiency (VE) Front and Rear Cylinders
• PE Air-Fuel Ratio
• Warm-up Enrichment
• Cranking Fuel
• Closed Loop Bias (Closed Loop Calibrations only)
• Acceleration Enrichment (AE )
• Deceleration Enleanment (DE )
• Spark Advance (SA1, SA2 ) Front and Rear Cylinders
• PE Spark Table
• Spark Temperature Correction Table
• Closed Throttle Spark Table
• Adaptive Knock Retard Table
• Max Knock Retard (This may be a table or a constant depending on the calibration)
• Idle RPM
• IAC Warm-up Steps

These are all the things that can be adjusted by your dyno guy.
Deceleration Enleanment (DE ) is what helps the poping and cracking.
To much unburned gas in the pipes. To rich on deceleration.
My bike has some poping. My dyno guy said he would not be able to get all of it out, but it is way better than before the tune. It is down to that cool sounding level that is acceptable. There is no stumbying any more at any RPM.

Bicep
I think I've got a rich DE because my friend was tripping out on the small flameage shooting out of my V&H slip-ons during occasional deceleration backfires tonight while he was following me on his '81 Kawahondasaki chopper. I need a video of it. Hmm...I need to figure out a way to mount my gopro hero camera to look down at them.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 49 Posts