Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MYDRM
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was having problems with my Battery light and check engine light and asked about it here. I was told to charge the battery and check the volts they were around 12 and when running around 13. this told me my battery was bad and the voltage regulator was working. I bought a new battery and all was good untill last night. yep back again was both warning lights so I charged the battery over night and took a ride today about 1/2 hour later they are back on? I have installed LEDs and I unplugged them last night before charging the battery and I left them unplugged thinking that if there was a short there that my battery would be good for days and not need charging. No such luck! Do you think that some were there has to be a short? I have to borrow my friends voltage checker again I want to test the battery and see were it is now before I charge it again Thanks again Clark

·
Registered
378 Posts
mydrm said:
Last week I was having problems with my Battery light and check engine light and asked about it here. I was told to charge the battery and check the volts they were around 12 and when running around 13. this told me my battery was bad and the voltage regulator was working. I bought a new battery and all was good untill last night. yep back again was both warning lights so I charged the battery over night and took a ride today about 1/2 hour later they are back on? I have installed LEDs and I unplugged them last night before charging the battery and I left them unplugged thinking that if there was a short there that my battery would be good for days and not need charging. No such luck! Do you think that some were there has to be a short? I have to borrow my friends voltage checker again I want to test the battery and see were it is now before I charge it again Thanks again Clark
Based on your first post, it seemed most likely that you have a charging system failure.

A fully charged battery, with bike not running should measure 12.6 volts.

With the bike running the voltage measured at the battery should be close to 14.0 volts, if the charging system is good. Put the maximum load on the system, when you measure the running voltage, i.e. turn on high beam, hit brake light etc. You may see the voltage sag a little, but it should be close to 14.0 volts, at any RPM above idle.

Has any work been done on the bike lately? Check all the wiring, expecially grounds.

I would suspect the regulator, before the alternator itself, since with the permanent magnet system used by HD, the regulator must handle the full charging current.

·
MYDRM
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
make a list check it twice

When we checked the regulator it was charging so I bought a battery. Now when the battery light came on this time we did the voltage check and the regulator was not charging? I have been told that it was kinda like a burnt out light bulb! You have seen a bulb that was burnt out but if it was wiggeld it would light. I guess when the regulator dies it dosent just quit working all the time it might just be on its way to be replaced!?:banghead: Anyway I bought a regulator today and put it on and everything is Great!! :D P.S. If you buy a regulator they are $199.99 this is a black stock item. If you buy a chrome one it is 189.99? LESS FOR CHROME??? Whats up with that? Thanks for all your help guys :notworth: Clark

·
It's Only Money
1,321 Posts
I've just picked up the exact same problem out of the blue. I've got the extended warranty so I guess I'll be headed to the service department at Gulf Coast HD sometime soon. I'll let you know what the determine the problem is -- I would bet the regulator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts