Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens if you have to much back pressure?

What damage can be done to the engine?

Can we get a stickey with all the correct part number upgrades?

Motor mounts,fuel lines, correct size tire numbers ect...ect...

Thanks in advanced
rod

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Backpressure is best ez'est understood if you consider men / women.

Women can't fart as well as men, because they don't stop talking long enough to build up any backpressure.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
laconia76 said:

Women can't fart as well as men, because they don't stop talking long enough to build up any backpressure.
:angeldev:

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
laconia76 said:

Wait till Kelley see this one...:)

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay okay This forum has got it all!!! lol

I like the comparison... but not what I was looking for
thanks
rod

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
rsc said:
okay okay This forum has got it all!!! lol

I like the comparison... but not what I was looking for
thanks
rod
But seriously, wasn't it so much better? Don't worry. I'm confident you'll get the info you're looking for, as soon as everyone gets over the fart joke. :rofl:

·
Damaged Goods.....
599 Posts
Here is link with most of the part numbers you are looking for-seems at one point it was a sticky: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38801
The other post that has good insights is a sticky shown above:http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24740

As for the back pressure- Myth Busters proved a banana in your tail pipe is physically impossible to cause any back pressure- What do you have in mind?

Short of that, if you actually restrict your pressure somehow or open it up with mods- it's effects can cause (open) lean or (smoke and black stuff on your tail pipe)Rich situations. Lean could burn up the valves, but understand your fan will run excessive and over heat to a point at 5000 RPM your bike will govern down.

Enjoy your banana experiment.....

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks My-v for the post...I have read both of them. I just thought if there was a sticky that had the part# and Item description only that it would cut down on repeat post some...just my thought. May be it would help out all of new people here at the forum.

I am running 2-2 Reinharts with stock baffles. I pulled the stock baffles out and put in a pair of V&H quiet baffles in. The V&H took the high pitch off the 2-2's.

I then put the stock baffles in followed by the V&H, now have 2 baffles in the pipe. WOW what a very deep rumble...I love the sound...When I ran it up in rpm's the engined bogged down. To me it just did not go to well in the upper rmp's, Kinda scared me. This is why I asked: Can you have to much back pressure? What kind of engine damage can happen.

I went back to the stock baffles and everything is ok... I really doubt anything can happen for such a short run.

But I would like to Mod the 2 baffles together somehow. This would be a sweet sound.

I'm thinking that with the added back pressure there was not enough fuel to make up the difference. DYNO here I come again.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful
thanks
rod

these are the V&H baffles

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am no expert on engine performance, but , I do know enough to get me into trouble. IMO, yes you can have to much back pressure. If you do have to much it can do exactley what it did to you already, bogging down the engine. As I understand it, backpressure helps to create a pressure differential between the exhaust and the combustion chamber to help promote proper flow out of the head. To much back pressure and the flow won't be right and the engine won't run properley, the same can be said about to little back pressure. As, far as engine damage, I think you are safe. If you do find a way to mod the two baffles together let me know as I will be buying a set of jug huggers here in a little while and would like to know how to make them not so loud but sound deep and throaty.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
You probably just need to re-tune after changing the baffles. From looking at those baffles, you probably don't have too much back pressure, but maybe running too rich and need to lean it up some, but that is just my guess, a dyno and proper equipment will tell the true story.

Let us know how it goes and post a sound clip, I may want to change my baffles too.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
vrscd_special said:
I am no expert on engine performance, but , I do know enough to get me into trouble. IMO, yes you can have to much back pressure.

ultimate too much backpressure is a potato stuck in the end of your exhaust. Two short straight pipes is the opposite.

the stock system with the 3rd volume is really hard to beat on a almost stock v-rod

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
It is not a back pressure issue, it is an issue of restricting the airflow through the motor so your MAP is to rich!!, you need to retune the VE tables and it will be fine!

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Life Lesson Learned

It is not a back pressure issue, it is an issue of restricting the airflow through the motor so your MAP is to rich!!, you need to retune the VE tables and it will be fine!

Boy are you right DTHDOC Flow restriction has a big roll in loss of hp.

Leave the R&D on exhast to the Experts! IMO
Thanks
Rod

1 - 16 of 16 Posts