Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm very happy to find this forum, it is rekindling a lost passion for motorcycles. I hope to learn and contribute as much as possible. There is so much information and awesome bikes on this forum. Thanks to all the contributors.

I was recently purchased a 2003 Vrod from a friend with 11k on it. He has every service record and receipt since new, they added up to 26k. He has been trying to get me to buy it for years, always telling me how special it is. I never paid too much serious attention to it. I was thinking to myself, it is a Harley and they are slow.

When I was younger in my teens and early twenties, I was addicted to the high-performance Jap bikes. High-speed highway and canyon racing were a norm. I was always tearing them down and making them lighter and faster. From 80cc two strokes to 1100cc race bikes. I had access to a machine shop, racing engineers, and a dyno.

Being young and bold got me into a few accidents. I'm no stranger to road rash, broken bones and even ground a visor hinge down on a helmet. After my last bad accident, I was wheelchair bound for 6 months and gave it all up.

I ended up getting into classic cars and Corvettes. I was also a certified ASE master tech and ran high volume auto repair shops for 20 years.

My good friend has heard my bike day stories and said he kept the bike for me knowing someday I would ride again. He would not sell it to a stranger only to somebody that would appreciate it. I am fortunate to purchase this motorcycle for under 2k. A deal I could not pass up and I most certainly intend to keep my part of the deal by learning and appreciating how special it is.

After 28 years I am back. I got it two weeks ago and never went over 40mph. I have a neighbor that is president of a local Harley club, he has been taunting to get a bike for years. About 20 bikes would line up in front of my house for their monthly run.

My neighbor was very happy to see that I bought a Harley. They invited me for long a run. Granted I have not been past 40mph on a bike for almost 30 years. The whole feet forward still seems unnatural to me. I was introduced and so was my bike. It was hard to believe, that most of the club did not know what a Vrod was.

After a couple hours of riding, I was happy to teach them what a Vrod was. It is the loudest and fastest bike in their club. Screaming Eagle open pipes and different sprocket helped with the lesson. I could not have been happier with its performance. This thing is a beast.

Attachments

·
VRSC est -03
3,403 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc. Sweet bike and shiny rims. Sort of timeless design by Willie G.
Reminds me about my first V, two paint colour & Stage1 dyno`d. Bought it late
year 02 and traded it when the dx arrived the scene.

·
Horsepower Whisperer
733 Posts
Nice intro. Being a diehard sport biker, I hate the feet forward riding position. Thus the reason for my VRSCR.
BTW...I have a Corvette as well. :cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to riding and making a lot of noise. The exhaust note is addicting.

I have the small list that I need to take care of. New tires, reseal the forks, and replace an engine gasket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.