Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

Premium Member
2004 vrsca
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
"This brake fluid has a dry and wet boiling point of 500 掳F and 356 掳F. As for color, DOT 5 brake fluid is usually purple. It鈥檚 also important to know that this fluid is not compatible with anti-lock braking systems."
"DOT 5.1 brake fluid is available in either clear, yellow or blue. Unlike DOT 5, 5.1 is compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluid and can be used in conventional applications. DOT 5.1 has one huge advantage over the other brake fluids as it has much higher dry (500 掳F) and wet boiling points (356 掳F). "
Yeah god know what the f he put there.. says its DOT 5.. maybe ducati dot 5...
As for me I went to get it from harley
Tin Bottle Drink Fluid Tin can

Registered
It was coming out of both ends. It was gruesome
Still don't explain what I see in the vid though. I would track down what fluid he used. If he used either Dot4 or 5.1 and your bike calls for Dot 5, you have issues. While technically, visually the two will not mix, as say in a jar even if you shake it, there is a microscopic reaction where the two can meet, say at any of the rubber components in the master or slave. This can expand the rubbers beyond imagine, jamming up the system. Slave not retracting as it should as one example. This could cause your clutch slipping. Unfortunately once this microscopic reaction has occurred at a rubber interface, there's no saving the expanded components, regardless of how many times it's flushed. Those components remain expanded from then on. They need to be replaced. 5.1 is a high performance Dot4 formula, that Ducati might use. I'd try and find out if he used this for you Dot 5 system. On a side note, Dot 5 other then easy on paint is the worst brake fluid shit ever devised by man. It has so much oxygen in it , it's actually compressible and this can be felt in the lever or peddles when comparing identical systems using one or the other fluid. Obviously if the system calls for it, use it for obvious reasons.
Ron

Premium Member
2004 vrsca
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Update
Went for a 2 hour test ride. Clutch isn't slipping anymore. I'm glad that the other day I didn't keep pushing it when I felt it slipping and drove back home slowly 馃サ

Now when on 1st gear at a complete stop it will go into neutral easily 8/10 times. In 2 weeks I will check and replace/purge fluid all over again and see what results I get.

My early conclusion is that the Ducatista put new fluid in the reservoir after cleaning it, but left old fluid in the lines and slave. Hopefully he didn't put fkn DoT 4 or 5.1

VRSC est -03
Went for a 2 hour test ride. Clutch isn't slipping anymore. I'm glad that the other day I didn't keep pushing it when I felt it slipping and drove back home slowly.
(y)
Yes, it would end up with a new clutch + work + lost time...

Premium Member
When the clutch steels got some heat they can start warping and this will cause harder release or even dragging. Clutch thickness gets bigger due to warpage but there is still same release distance. And if cylinder movement is restricted by poor liquids it will be even worse. Typical symptom is that neutral is harder find especially from first gear side. And slippage too if mass plates are worn too.

Perhaps time to replace clutch if flushing the fluids will not do the trick.

Registered
"This brake fluid has a dry and wet boiling point of 500 掳F and 356 掳F. As for color, DOT 5 brake fluid is usually purple. It鈥檚 also important to know that this fluid is not compatible with anti-lock braking systems."
"DOT 5.1 brake fluid is available in either clear, yellow or blue. Unlike DOT 5, 5.1 is compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluid and can be used in conventional applications. DOT 5.1 has one huge advantage over the other brake fluids as it has much higher dry (500 掳F) and wet boiling points (356 掳F). "
this right here is KEY i know this from flushing fluid when racing the mustang at the track.

that being said, get a pressure bleeder, those things are amazing i'm sure someone makes a cover or you can buy a second cover for your reservoir and drill it and put a fitting on it. these things are incredible for flushing the system. you put pressurized fresh clean fluid through the system with no air at all in the lines. absolutely fantastic tool 100% must have for doing your own work. only like $60 USD when i bought mine a while back on amazon

Registered
Update

Clutch is slipping again.. Last night I got home, got my camera and went out to replicate the issue so I could show you. At the start it might look like slipping by the rpms, it is the back wheel slipping on 1st and 2nd

Yup, clutch slipping for sure. As for the tire spin first and second, send me that PC cal and I'll detune it for you. 馃ぃ Seems to run decent.
Ron

21 - 40 of 66 Posts