Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

Premium Member
2004 vrsca
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back home, took my v for a spin after over a month without moving it. While on the highway i was on 4th gear revving past 6k rpm and I noticed a quick increase on rpm so i shift to 5th and try again and all good up until 5 or 6k rpms then another quick increase in rpms 馃槓 so I crap my pants and slow down back home.. so I just took a look right now at the fluid, and this is how it looks like.
Judging by the symptoms I believe it is not the fluid alone but also my clutch discs are worn.. tomorrow i will get new dot 5 and replace all fluids and see what happens, since that is the cheapest solution.. Any 2 cents would be great since this is the 1st time i have clutch issues with a rod. Oil is normal harley 20/50, no synthetic crap

Premium Member
2004 vrsca
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slave cylinder/ master cylinder coming unwound? Returned fluid appears greyish and settles to the bottom like water............
I closed it and a friend wanted to take it for a spin, didn't get too far cause its windy af 馃槓 but told me it's extremely difficult to get into neutral. I never noticed the neutral, i always shift/downshift and go into neutral by the rpms.. I'm really wishing that it is dirty dot 5 and low tire pressure + my full rims with strong winds and not my clutch discs 馃槗

Premium Member
2004 vrsca
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't really tell by the video............ is the returning fluid milky white (water) or is it grey (from hydraulic parts) ?
Gray, i am getting almost no return. You can only see fluid move when i press the lever, when i let go there is nothing or almost close to nothing no matter how fast i let go of the lever

Registered
Master cylinder port blockage might be holding pressure on the plates causing spin. Not sure how or why you have so much grey mud in the system. Going to take some serious cleaning to clear that up. Repeated fluid flushing might clear it up. Worst case disassembly and a full cleaning of MC to Slave.
Ron

VRSC est -03
Now is the time to change the brake fluid too...
Can't just ride all the time, the bike needs some love too...

Premium Member
2004 vrsca
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now is the time to change the brake fluid too...
Can't just ride all the time, the bike needs some love too...
Fluids were changed by the previous owner about a year ago. I trust this is true but he is a Ducatista 馃槀 so I'm not surprised the fluid is in terrible condition, he probably didn't even purged the lines and just put new different fluid on top of the old one 馃う鈥嶁檪锔 my mistake for not checking myself

Registered
I have same issue on one of my VRSC and it happens in 5 gear 鈿 starts to slip then I let of just a second hit and it takes off again and doesn鈥檛 slip happens between 90 and 110 mph not constant speed it hits at and my BF said just leave it till it鈥檚 happens other gears. Did the main fix鈥檚 as well

Registered
I have same issue on one of my VRSC and it happens in 5 gear 鈿 starts to slip then I let of just a second hit and it takes off again and doesn鈥檛 slip happens between 90 and 110 mph not constant speed it hits at and my BF said just leave it till it鈥檚 happens other gears. Did the main fix鈥檚 as well
It's telling you to fix it now. It's time to swap out the plates or go with the new slipper clutch if you still have the original. Holds better and less lever pressure. Direct swap.
Ron

Premium Member
2004 vrsca
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If there was ever a reason for the WTF, that's a good one. I really can't explain how fluid can look like that.
Ron
After some investigating the previous owner told me he put "white" dot 5 after cleaning only the reservoir without purging the lines.. he said the previous fluid was white but in the documents it was done at harley, so it was the purple fluid that turns clear after some time. He had 2 different fluids in the system

Registered
t was done at harley, so it was the purple fluid that turns clear after some time.
"This brake fluid has a dry and wet boiling point of 500 掳F and 356 掳F. As for color, DOT 5 brake fluid is usually purple. It鈥檚 also important to know that this fluid is not compatible with anti-lock braking systems."
"DOT 5.1 brake fluid is available in either clear, yellow or blue. Unlike DOT 5, 5.1 is compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluid and can be used in conventional applications. DOT 5.1 has one huge advantage over the other brake fluids as it has much higher dry (500 掳F) and wet boiling points (356 掳F). "

1 - 20 of 66 Posts