Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 VROD. It has been sitting overwinter and was ridden rarely the last few years due to an injury.
Went to fire it up today and it runs for about 5 seconds then dies. Happens over and over again.
If I spray starter fluid into the airbox intake it will keep it running.
Thus, it appears starved for fuel.

I noticed that my fuel gauge is also not functioning and reads empty while it has about 1.5 gallons of fuel in it.

I checked and it is throwing an error code under C: b1005
This is "Fuel Level Sending Unit High/Open Instruments".

Any thoughts on a diagnosis?

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
The fuel sending unit and your fuel pump get their power through the same connector on the top of the tank. Check it out and make sure you have a good connection.
'
Validate your fuel pump is working. You should be able to hear it when you first turn the ignition on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

I made the homemade tool to remove the tank ring, detailed elsewhere here, using a plastic drainage grate from Lowes. Worked.

When I removed the fuel pump/sending unit/filter assembly from the tank, two obvious problems were identified that likely explain my problem.

First, the female wire connector which attached to the sending unit had corroded and snapped - thus no power from sending unit to gauge.

Second, the fuel sock had degraded and was caked full of sediment. No doubt causing a problem with fuel supply. I ordered the Bosch 68015 fuel sock from eBay for $7.89 (HD only sells the fuel sock as part of the entire tank assembly for $369 as found on Ronnies).

When the new fuel sock arrives, I'll reassemble (and reconnect the sending wire). I'll report back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
If the sock is that crudded up you should replace the fuel filter also. Might want to consider the fuel lines also while you have the tank apart. They have been know to get pin holes in them causing reduced pressure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's good advice, and I thought the same thing. But since HD only sells the whole unit, I'll need a source for the filter. Any tips?

If the sock is that crudded up you should replace the fuel filter also. Might want to consider the fuel lines also while you have the tank apart. They have been know to get pin holes in them causing reduced pressure.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Google "Harley xxxxxx" where xxxxxx is the part number of the filter
'
75169-01 Filter Pressure side
75170-01 Filter Suction side

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.